• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Glimpses of Eternity with Raymond Moody MD (NDEs)

Kerome

Kerome

Dr Raymond Moody was the original pioneer of NDEs in the 1970's with his book Life After This Life, and so I thought this book might have some interesting things to offer. It was written in 2010, showing the enduring interest in the subject. Like Eben Alexander more recently Moody has functioned as a collector of the NDE stories of other people over the years.

So in Glimpses of Eternity he is mainly retelling other people's stories, in a short form covering usually no more than 3 pages per individual, of NDE experiences of a specific kind. These are cases where other people have experienced first hand some part of the NDE of a loved one, sometimes two people together witnessing an NDE when a third person is passing. There are a wide variety of cases, from people who just see a stream of lights, to multiple people who all together witness changes to the room, bright lights and visitations by loved ones.

I thought it was particularly interesting because there is quite a lot of verifiable material here, for example the cases where two people agree on the details of an NDE they have just witnessed while a third person passed away. A really dogged materialist might call that a shared hallucination, but most sensible people, even scientists, are going to have to concede the point that it implies some kind of special connection on the consciousness level.

It's a good book, easy to pick up and read in chunks. Recommended.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Yes I have read it along with his other books. One does find there is a common theme which is good and adds to the credibility.

Kerome

Kerome

Its interesting that Moody also details a personal experience in this book, where he and other members of his family witnessed his mothers leaving her body. About four of them had this shared experience at the moment of her death, and discussed it in detail afterwards.

Another salient fact is that the number of people who have had a shared experience at deaths threshold is at least as large as those who have personally had and survived an NDE, judging from rough hand counts in Moody's talks.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think when a loved one is dying - you can choose to stay close with this person right to the point of death.
I believe when a person is dying the person become close to the other side.

Well, when my mother was dying - I stayed close to her - and I had my own shared death experience.

Also you notice that in some elderly couples - when one passes over - the other follows shortly.

Death is sometimes just a gateway to another dimension and not something terrifying and tragic. And really with all these deaths in the news - earthquakes - drownings - the world would be better to become more spiritual and learn that death is a just a natural transition and not to be feared.