• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Give Up? Or is there hope?

L

Loz

I have recently been diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder of borderline type at the age of 22!

I am really struggling at the moment as I seem to be doing more risky behaviours and I dont see a way of ever getting better. I have been in trouble with the police alot, causing upset to family and friends but this seems to make no impact on my behaviour which i do not understand.

Alot of people think im just attention seeking but ive just given up and really dont think I can cope for much longer.

I have no help from services even though ive been in and out of hosiptal for like months now and im just so confussed on what to do next.
Anybody have any ideas on how im meant to cope? where do i go for help? Argh!!! I'm thinking of just giving up as there seems to be no way out and ill always be like this! No Dr. has ever offered any hope so what is the point?

M

mad as a hatter

i was in an out the hospital 2 for a few yrs doing silly things harmng myself mostly upsetting my family and yes being called an attention seeker and yep it does hurt so i decided 2 tk a step bk and think about what the where calling me and decided 10 months ago from that day i was never harming myself or going in hospital again and i have but it,s been hard goin and i,ve felt angry about at times about what the pdoc,s and nurses where saying so just tk it 1 day at a time and ignore the urges 2 do things like i was doin i was constantly running off 2 and having the police looking for me it turned into a joke for them they laughed about it so i thought it had 2 stop so now i work hard at it daily cause don,t get me wrong it,s hard especially when u feel emotional about things but i feel that i don,t have 2 act on these emotions ne more by being destructive 2 myself and my family there is other ways try distracting ur self before u act then they won,t be long saying ur not attention seeking i know what that,s like it,s so hurtful but hopefully it will change for u in the future take care

M

madsheep

Hey Loz. I am 22 and I have have been diagnosed with Borderline too, or emotionally unstable personality disorder (my Psychiatrist said they were the same thing.)I was in the middle of last year, but it still feels like yesterday!

I often feel that I am not getting any help. I recently moved and so they are using that as an excuse not to give me any help. Not even the GP will prescribe anything without the mental health teams' approval and they cant make up their minds.
All I can say is just hang in there. I often feel that there is just no point in carrying on. But there is always a reason. Like mad as a hatter said, just take one day at a time, even one hour at a time as I do, and things will change.
Take care. Keep chatting on here. It seems to help a lot of people, hopefully it will help you too.
x x x

dib4uk

dib4uk

I have recently been diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder of borderline type at the age of 22!

I am really struggling at the moment as I seem to be doing more risky behaviours and I dont see a way of ever getting better. I have been in trouble with the police alot, causing upset to family and friends but this seems to make no impact on my behaviour which i do not understand.

Alot of people think im just attention seeking but ive just given up and really dont think I can cope for much longer.

I have no help from services even though ive been in and out of hosiptal for like months now and im just so confussed on what to do next.
Anybody have any ideas on how im meant to cope? where do i go for help? Argh!!! I'm thinking of just giving up as there seems to be no way out and ill always be like this! No Dr. has ever offered any hope so what is the point?
Hey loz,

Just hang in there and take one day at a time, thats what i do, and i was diagnosed as having emotionally unstable personality disorder about 6 months ago now. Its hard to take one day at a time, but thats how I can cope plus i surround myself with doing stuff like voluntary work, college or uni stuff, just to keep busy.

Have u been refered to therapy ??

L

Loz

i have been refered for therapy and they say could be like a year away... not sure i can cope for that long especially as there is nobody wanting or willing to support me through life, really concidering giving up altogether...

M

madsheep

Hey,
Ask if there is anything that they can do to support you until you get the therapy. Say you are feeling unsupported and that you really need something to keep you going. I felt like you did and its taken a few hospital admissions to get me to realise that I should have asked for more help sooner. Just hang in there. Its not worth giving up, there is always something to fight for, even if you dont feel it right now.
:hug: take care

Q

quality factor

Hi I was dx with bpd about two years ago, and as has already been said you need to try and take a day at a time, or divide the day in to smaller bits to get yourself through.
Have you approached your local community mental health team for any help?, your GP might do this for you.

I found the following site to be helpful and it was recommended to me by pdoc.... google 'borderline uk'.

Life is a struggle with this illness, I'll be honest, but don't give up, hang on in there. There is always somebody here for you to talk to.
You will also find some help in the Personality Disorders section of the forum.

Good luck and keep posting,

QF.

L

Loz

thank everyone, at times it feels like it just me against the world, but this forum is great to realise that your not the only one stuggling so thanks for that.

dib4uk

dib4uk

thank everyone, at times it feels like it just me against the world, but this forum is great to realise that your not the only one stuggling so thanks for that.
Hey Loz,

Just an idea that goes with what others have said have you asked/enquired about joining a support group for depression and issolation- if thats what your struggling with. There might be a group near to you that might cater for that sort of support, or it might have similar groups that you can join in the mean time. Maybe contact Mind the mental health charity or any other mental health charity to see if they run a support group for people with similar issues that you have.