• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Girlfriend with Bipolar

W

will2992

Just recently discovered that my girlfriend has bipolar and just need some advice on how to go about caring for her and helping her through it.

She's been told its extreme depression and mild manic bipolar and isn't coping well with the news at the moment :( Her mother was diagnosed many years ago with bipolar so we knew it was in her gene's.

So how do i help her during this time? I'm trying not to pressure her to talk to me, but it does hurt alot when she's stubborn and doesn't want me around her. I know it's probably the illness talking but she has said she doesn't need me or anyone to help and asks me to leave her alone alot. I've been researching it abit but would like people personal experiences with things like this.

Few more points:
we're both still young (i'm 21 and she's 19)
we've only just got back together from a split, beforehand were together a year

thanks for reading, i know i blab on but i really don't wanna lose the most important thing in my life :unsure:

W

will2992

Can anyone help? :( feels like i'm losing her slowly and all i wanna do is be there for her :(

Jools

Jools

Dear Will!

You are going to have quite hard mission in front of you, but you have to be very patient and understanding now. What I am going to advise you is very connected with problem that my partner has with me. When you find out that you have "a problem", it is going to come as an official shock, though you knew some time that something is wrong with your behavior. And then you sit a think all sorts of things about yourself, trying to find out is there anything more....I hurt my husband so many times with my behavior...and then I hate myself doing it...sometimes I shut as well..it is very hard when you love someone and you just don't have control or you still didn't learn how to have control over yourself....for me, sometimes I think that it is even rude to apologize or try to explain what is happening, because in the end you are there for her, he is here for me. But I am shut in the room now, spending some time on this forum, reading book about my problems. I am working on that. And I am sure she will or is working on herself. You should do the same. Get informations and more knowledge about her disorder. Be patient and talk about that with her.
She knows how much you love her. I am sure about that. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here looking for help.

Good luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KyussEatsTheSun People 2
5 People 8