• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Girlfriend wakes up every morning with negative thoughts

D

duvdar

Hey All

I am trying to help find out ways to help my girlfriend with an issue she has been having for a long time. She has anxiety, schizoaffective and depression. Every morning she wakes up she is very down for the first 2 to 3 hours. Regretting being in a relationship, very down on herself, thinking she should be alone not worthy or anyone, etc, This happens no matter what time of the day she wakes up for the first 2 or 3 hours. Then once she gets through it she is fine. and her spirits pick up. Anyone know why this happens the same way every day and for the same first few hours after being awake? This is really tearing her apart any advice would really help.

coldwater00

coldwater00

Hey All

I am trying to help find out ways to help my girlfriend with an issue she has been having for a long time. She has anxiety, schizoaffective and depression. Every morning she wakes up she is very down for the first 2 to 3 hours. Regretting being in a relationship, very down on herself, thinking she should be alone not worthy or anyone, etc, This happens no matter what time of the day she wakes up for the first 2 or 3 hours. Then once she gets through it she is fine. and her spirits pick up. Anyone know why this happens the same way every day and for the same first few hours after being awake? This is really tearing her apart any advice would really help.
Feeling low in the morning and then picking up during the day is a symptom of depression. She could also just be overtired if she is on sedating medication. Fatigue worsens depression and anxiety, especially if it is a chronic fatigue caused by sedating antipsychotics or sedating antidepressants.

D

duvdar

Feeling low in the morning and then picking up during the day is a symptom of depression. She could also just be overtired if she is on sedating medication. Fatigue worsens depression and anxiety, especially if it is a chronic fatigue caused by sedating antipsychotics or sedating antidepressants.
Thank you for the feedback, Her and I are thankful.

Gajolene

Gajolene

obsessive and intrusive thoughts could be one of the reasons she is down in the morning. I get them and wake up with them every morning as well. Is there anything you could do to break her routine habit's. Maybe wake her up with a cup of tea and tell her how lovely she is. These things due tend to cycle and as you said do pass. With her being scitzoaffective as well as suffering depression. These thought cycles can be very imbedded and extreamly hard to break and I can understand how frustrating it is watching her go through this every day.

The best advice I can give is for you to encourage her to work with a therapist to help learn ways to cope with it. If you could break her routine as well, do things with her that will distract her focus away from the negative thought cycles that may help. If she is willing to do that and your willing to help her do that as well.

Mainly give her understanding, she doesn't need you to fix it for her. Sometimes we feel we need to do that for people and it ends up doing more harm than good. Just compassionate understanding and the willingness for you to let her speak about her feelings without being judged and for her to know your willing to listen will help a lot.