• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

girlfriend said she got prescribed lithium for "stress"

K

kilorew99

Hey my girlfriend admitted she was on lithium which I know is for bipolar/major depression etc, but then said it was just for stress (it has been a stressful period don't get me wrong) but I feel something more is going on.

Been so distant for weeks hasn't wanted to see me, hasn't exactly ghosted me as she's still been texting but not nearly as much as usual, has reiterated that we are ok. Still gone to work and stuff.

My question I just wanna know, for purely stress you wouldn't get prescribed lithium just for that would you? As that's what she said it was for.

I just want some idea as to whats going on

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Hey my girlfriend admitted she was on lithium which I know is for bipolar/major depression etc, but then said it was just for stress (it has been a stressful period don't get me wrong) but I feel something more is going on.

Been so distant for weeks hasn't wanted to see me, hasn't exactly ghosted me as she's still been texting but not nearly as much as usual, has reiterated that we are ok. Still gone to work and stuff.

My question I just wanna know, for purely stress you wouldn't get prescribed lithium just for that would you? As that's what she said it was for.

I just want some idea as to whats going on
Whats the difference? If she needs meds for underlying issues you should support her.

K

kilorew99

Whats the difference? If she needs meds for underlying issues you should support her.
There will be no difference, just want to know if she's most likely lying to me through embarrassment or some other issue when she doesn't have to be. Just want to understand that's all.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

There will be no difference, just want to know if she's most likely lying to me through embarrassment or some other issue when she doesn't have to be. Just want to understand that's all.
A diagnosis youd rather not hear can be a realy shit time. I hid mine from my partner cause i was angry and embarrassed. Be there to support.and mind its hard to share

K

kilorew99

A diagnosis youd rather not hear can be a realy shit time. I hid mine from my partner cause i was angry and embarrassed. Be there to support.and mind its hard to share
So it's more likely something else going on rather than stress as I suspected. How long did you keep it from your partner if you don't mind me asking.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

So it's more likely something else going on rather than stress as I suspected. How long did you keep it from your partner if you don't mind me asking.
Ive nothing to hide is all good. I hid my ilness for about 4 years of a 10 year relationship. Hid a drug addiction from her too. She found out eventually. At first she was pissed about my lying about it but very supportive after that

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Ive nothing to hide is all good. I hid my ilness for about 4 years of a 10 year relationship. Hid a drug addiction from her too. She found out eventually. At first she was pissed about my lying about it but very supportive after that
Its hard to share. Especially in a relationship. Counter. Intuative i know but for me i didnt want to share incase she got scared and run away

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Stress can cause an episode of bipolar disorder. Perhaps she feels it is a one off due to stress and so is taking it to help protect her from stress causing another episode? Some people don't like the idea of a diagnosis but just symptoms. She could say stress caused her not to sleep and this caused her to have high energy, which wasn't easy to cope with, so i took lithium as the doctor said it might help. Things like that could be her thinking.

R

Rex Smith

Doctors don't prescribe lithium for somone dealing with only stress. That's like a doctor giving me percocet for a headache.

Take it all in during this period because it's something that will happen over and over again.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Have you told her that your understanding is that Lithium is prescribed for Bipolar? She should know that you are having these questions about her honesty with respect to the Lithium. I would tell her that you understand Lithium to be a treatment for Bipolar disorder. Ask her if she is bipolar and let her know that if she is it’s okay you will be there to support her. Knowing either way might explain some of her behavior lately and possibly even bring you together in future episodes. If you want to know the truth I would just ask. xo, j

K

kilorew99

Doctors don't prescribe lithium for somone dealing with only stress. That's like a doctor giving me percocet for a headache.

Take it all in during this period because it's something that will happen over and over again.
I'm sorry, what are you referring to when you say it will happen over and over again?

N

Nukelavee

I'm sorry, what are you referring to when you say it will happen over and over again?
Bipolar tends to run in cycles of behaviour. Ups and downs in a kind of pattern.

In this case, it sounds like periods of distance compared to teh usual connection you feel.

Bipolar disorder, like Borderline, can have a serious stigma attached to it, it's not unusual for people not to talk about it until either it causes an issue, or until somebody trusts you enough not to react badly to the admission.

Not disclosing it is often a defensive action.

K

kilorew99

Bipolar tends to run in cycles of behaviour. Ups and downs in a kind of pattern.

In this case, it sounds like periods of distance compared to teh usual connection you feel.

Bipolar disorder, like Borderline, can have a serious stigma attached to it, it's not unusual for people not to talk about it until either it causes an issue, or until somebody trusts you enough not to react badly to the admission.

Not disclosing it is often a defensive action.
She does seem to disappear often then comes back as if nothing happened.

I remember last time she said she was 'distancing herself from people' which was strange as she still went in to work and then a few weeks later of hearing nothing she said she 'has her moments in life'

More and more signs are pointing to bipolar aren't they?

JessisMe

JessisMe

She does seem to disappear often then comes back as if nothing happened.

I remember last time she said she was 'distancing herself from people' which was strange as she still went in to work and then a few weeks later of hearing nothing she said she 'has her moments in life'

More and more signs are pointing to bipolar aren't they?
These are not symptoms of bipolar. They are instances of inconsistencies and secretiveness in your partner. How long have you been together? These kinds of behaviors are not conducive to being in a healthy partnership regardless of what your partner may or may not be struggling with. There are plenty of people with bipolar, and mental illness in general, who do not behave in dodgy, cryptic and secretive ways towards their partner. I would confront her about this and figure out what’s up. Xo, j

M

markprosso538

I don't think I've ever heard of a dr presribing lithium for stress. Then again some dr's prescribe pills like crazy, so I guess it's possible.