• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Getting worse

G

Georgia82

Hi
Anyone been following Hollyoaks? I can totally relate to the Diane storyline, all I think about is germs everything needs to be just right and I can’t even think about going to bed until the dishwasher is on everything is clean and closed. I don’t even see people on the street anymore I see contaminated objects and I saw a woman blow her nose the other week and was disgusted. The doctor increased my sertraline to 150 couple of weeks back I’m sure it’s made me worse. She said she’d change to something else if it didn’t work. I stupidly tried talking to my mum about how things were and she suggested stopping medication and I’d go back to normal, how can she be so insensitive and to just suggest that I need to think positive and I’ll be fine. She only believes in physical illness and her attitude really annoys me. Anyone else deal with non-believing relatives?

A

Aurelius

Yes. Sometimes you just have to 'survive' them. I know it sounded like insensitivity, but maybe your mother (like many people) cannot reach out beyond the beliefs that sustain her sense of safety and sanity and protect her from he worst fears and insecurities.

J

Jono

Hi
Anyone been following Hollyoaks? I can totally relate to the Diane storyline, all I think about is germs everything needs to be just right and I can’t even think about going to bed until the dishwasher is on everything is clean and closed. I don’t even see people on the street anymore I see contaminated objects and I saw a woman blow her nose the other week and was disgusted. The doctor increased my sertraline to 150 couple of weeks back I’m sure it’s made me worse. She said she’d change to something else if it didn’t work. I stupidly tried talking to my mum about how things were and she suggested stopping medication and I’d go back to normal, how can she be so insensitive and to just suggest that I need to think positive and I’ll be fine. She only believes in physical illness and her attitude really annoys me. Anyone else deal with non-believing relatives?
For a little while until my mother in law told everyone she suffers with depression , case closed 😂😂

A

Alice07Hatter

Hi

Hey,
Sorry to hear your OCD is causing you this much distress. Have you tried being referred to therapy, CBT doesn't work for everyone but it can be really helpful, and having someone else tell you that your worrying for no reason is also kind of a blame shifter, or it was for me anyway.
I suffered with the same sort of OCD for years, and got to the point where I stopped eating, I didn't go out, I wouldn't stay anywhere aside from home, I wouldn't do anything. But I managed to get that worry under control and now I don't even think about those things any more. So it's possible for you too!!!!!

Firstly, just some little things to think about when you worry. If germs were so easily harmful, why is everyone else ok? Why would it just be you who needed to do all these things? Everyone else is fine because although germs are real, most bacteria isn't harmful and actually helps build a stronger immune system. I remember when I was really bad, I was at the park with my baby cousins, one wasn't even walking yet and he was sitting on the floor rubbing the dirt and then putting his hands in his mouth, I told my auntie and she said oh that's fine, it'll make him stronger. And I was shocked and kind of confused because of how bad I was worried. 6 years later he's probably eaten lots of dirt and is completely fine and healthy.

Touching something doesn't mean your contaminated, again think of the millions of people who use public transport everyday, the same people touching the same stuff, although I still think this is a bad grimy, it's certainly nothing to worry about and if it was thousands of people would be aware of it by now. Corona has probably not helped your worries as we are constantly reminded to wash and be clean etc. But that's not to be confused with being ocd, simply washing your hands for 20 seconds is more than enough, or hand sanitising once, is fine!

I'm not sure if any of this will help but I hope it makes things a little better for you. Try applying for counselling, take care.

B

bangalore1

Hope things get better, it sounds like you are suffering a lot.
I have. had OCD since i was a boy and some people do not get, but people that know me a longtime know that i suffer with anxiety and OCD. I have had to stop work due to the pressure of it and i was just under to much stress.
Also gossip in a fellowship really harmed me i feel maliciuos gossip is a form of bullying.
I feel much better for giving up work for a while.