• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Getting triggered by my sister :(

2005feb

I am 21 and have been struggling with eating disorders since I was in primary school. The last year of my life (up until these couple of weeks) I’ve probably been at the best place I’ve been in a long time. However, during lockdown here I noticed my older sister doing a lot of what I used to do (lying about food, skipping meals, exercising without eating/after eating, eating very low cal foods, suddenly drinking lots of coffee/green tea) all these things I notice because they’re things I’ve done for years. I find myself wanting to be healthy now but constantly constantly getting triggered by her. I’m not close enough to her really to say anything and when I do try to say something people think I’m shifting focus from myself and my ED. It’s only getting worse and I can’t help constantly thinking about it/feeling so triggered when I am about to eat, seeing that she is eating little to nothing. She has only started doing this in the last couple of months. I find that i am thinking about this all the time and feeling upset/frustrated. Please help me, I don’t know what to do or who to turn to now (I also don’t have a therapist for those wondering!). Thanks 💓🥺

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I totally understand how triggering it is to see your sister do the things you used to. I would tell your parents your concerns and point out all the behaviours you mentioned. Then it is in their hands to sort out. You say you do not have a therapist. Is that something you would consider? I think it would help you such a lot. Well done for being in a good place now. You must have worked so hard to get here.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi welcome x
its hard when we are in a better place to see others struggle as we did/do ,i found it very hard to come to terms with some of my sisters BPD behaviour after suffering from it so long myself
how do you feel about opening up to her and telling her you find her behaviour triggering?
im glad you are in a better place it is important you stay there x please keep posting on the forum for support
you are very welcome here ,i hope you will find this place useful Lu x