Getting sectioned

FrozenOtter

FrozenOtter

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone could help, my mental health team want me to have a blood test because of my eating disorder but I'm refusing to have one. I live in my own place and I'm in the community. When my CPN came out on Tuesday he said to me "do I need to section you to make you have the blood test"

Can he do this?

W

Waverunner

In short, no, not on his own. To be sectioned, you usually need to be seen by 3 people (2 doctors) and an approved mental health practitioner (AMHP). A CPN can be an AMHP. The 2 doctors have to agree that you need to be sectioned. They will make this decision after interviewing you. I think it is somewhat an abuse of your CPN's power to throw out that comment.

T

tonga kev

I think the cpn was being human not a robot, i think he was just showing you how concerned he is.

H

Harper

If the risks to your health are significant and a blood test is required to determine this then it is a possibility that you could be sectioned. Why not go for the blood test? The CPN appears to be concerned about your health and your lack of co-operation could be viewed as you being a risk to yourself.

Kerome

Kerome

Really? I always thought that the interpretation of "danger of harm to self or others" which is needed for a section was more in the way of immediate danger, I mean I was running around with knives while psychotic and they didn't section me. Seems very borderline to interpret an ED as harm and threaten a section...

But I would have the blood test, they are relatively harmless and can show up all kinds of things that need attention.

H

Harper

I think we are missing some information as to why the blood test was requested. Is he observing more weight loss. Not eating can present an immediate risk to health/life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Eating Disorders Forum 29
P Eating Disorders Forum 3