getting rid of diagnoses , uk research

claude

claude

Hello,

I have been reading some of recovery in the bins twitter and there seems to be a lot of discussion about a new piece of research that proposes getting rid of diagnoses of mental illness and instead talking about peoples distress and problems in "formulation", which from what i can gather means saying things like 'x is currently in distress due to adverse experiences in earlier life and current stressful life events' instead of saying x has depression and anxiety or whatever it may be currently.

There is a lot of criticism from survivors/service users etc about it because of fears that it will further help the DWP to discriminate against people with mental health problems. I wondered what people on here thought about it?

I know i have had a lot of worries and stress and strong feelings of shame with the DWP assessments and having to go to extreme lengths to show i cannot work currently. My diagnosis is the big scary schizo so i imagine that people with more common diagnoses might be made to jump through even higher and more stressful hoops. (i mean in terms of the numbers of people who have them i don't mean to imply that the common diagnoses are automatically less serious, just that they might not invite the same reaction as a schiz/psychosis diagnosis)

It caused me a lot of emotional pain when i was diagnosed because of the stigma and stereotypes that culturally exist about my affliction so in some ways i can understand the drive to frame our problems differently in a way that shows we are still human but at the same time i wonder if this is the most pressing issue right now? It does seem like it could be a dangerous move to take away the legal rights of being recognised as suffering from a named long term health condition/disability while there is still so much prejudice. And so many uncompassionate people in government who do not care for our welfare

what does everyone else think about it all?

claude

claude

maybe i think it would be good to get rid of the BPD label because i have heard many stories about patients being discriminated against by mental health workers because of the label but there needs to be more support to help people with their complex problems first, cause even if the NHS treats BPD patients very uncaringly often at least the DWP understand it is a complex condition so should help with benefit forms maybe so at least they can keep a roof over their head?

Last edited:
claude

claude

people with bpd label could easily be rediagnosed as have PTSD in many cases

Kerome

Kerome

Interesting discussion. I don’t think patients are particularly well served by diagnosis with stigmatising labels but I think people are right to be concerned about the reaction of officialdom such as DWP.

H

HoggiePoggie

I really do not agree with getting rid of diagnoses as it will only serve to further blur the line between the mentally ill and those who aren't.
It can go one of two ways in my opinion:

1 - Mental Health will become trivialised with the expression "such and such is under certain circumstances which results in them being abnormal". This will expand to things that does not officially label someone as mentally ill and will therefore create a circle of misdiagnosis.

2 - The Mentally Ill will become more removed from society. As an opposite to this, rather than simply creating widespread accounts of misdiagnosis, those who are clinically mentally ill will be further discriminated for being abnormal.

The biggest issue I have with this is that they cannot simply put every mental health issue under one banner, there are complex differences between each illness, not to mention that each illness represents itself in fundamental differences within each individual.
Using a tree as an analogy, lets say each illness is a branch, with branches forming off of these with each subdivision in each mental illness category. For instance, Anxiety forms it's own Branch as it can be used as a universal term for Anxiety Disorders. Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Phobias would branch off from this.
I can see the flaws in this analogy, depression and anxiety as an example manifest in other mental illnesses.

I'm fine with being labelled as a sufferer of anxiety and depression and am waiting on getting assessed for derealisation disorder and co-dependency disorder. Quite frankly, I would rather be labelled with a specific illness rather than be just 'generally mental ill'. I may not be speaking for those suffering from Schizoid Disorders, Schizophrenia and BPD, as I can understand that being labelled with these can lead to discrimination.

Rather than trying to subvert the mentally ill into a suppressed group, why doesn't the government give us a voice and stand with us? I feel as if we're going backwards and I'm terrified of the day when mental health funding has been severely cut and we have to pay (or in the case for countries without a free health service, pay even more) for a mental health service.

Last edited: