• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Getting over my fear of driving

C

Chargirl20

Hi Everyone, I’m 20 years old and I have a major fear of driving. I think the parts that scare me the most is not knowing what’s going to happening and I don’t want to hurt anyone or myself. I do have my license and I’m in college. However I haven’t driven since 2017 and every time I try to drive I feel like I’m having a panic attack and my hands become shaky. However, by me not driving it’s holding me back from a lot of opportunities I want to get over this fear. Another thing my mom always tells people about my fear of driving and people always say “Your really scared of driving?”, “So when are you going to start driving?”, “Everyone drives so you need to also?”.I feel like it’s none of their business I’m well aware I need to start driving I wish people gave helpful advice instead of stating the obvious or judging me. I recently asked my parents could I practice at a nearby building so I can get back comfortable driving but said they I’m way past that stage and that I need to just get on the road and go. I don’t want to get on the busy road (heavy traffic where I live) until I’m confident in what I’m doing. I wish I hadn’t of been scared when I first learned because now my parents don’t want to help. The people around me really don’t understand that driving anxiety is a very real thing and most people try to shame me or laugh. Can someone give me helpful advice on how they overcame driving anxiety?

wollie

wollie

exuse my expression, but what a load of tossers, I learnt on country roads, I dont suffer from anxiety but I was very nervous to start of with, I still wont drive in a major city, I guess you have heard this before but take small steps like driving to a shop a few miles away and gradualy build up to driving further, also you must learn about the safe bubble make sure you are aware of whats happening around you and keep a safe distance away from other vehicles, and remember that a lot of drivers are ass holes and you are a better driver than them.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Everyone, I’m 20 years old and I have a major fear of driving. I think the parts that scare me the most is not knowing what’s going to happening and I don’t want to hurt anyone or myself. I do have my license and I’m in college. However I haven’t driven since 2017 and every time I try to drive I feel like I’m having a panic attack and my hands become shaky. However, by me not driving it’s holding me back from a lot of opportunities I want to get over this fear. Another thing my mom always tells people about my fear of driving and people always say “Your really scared of driving?”, “So when are you going to start driving?”, “Everyone drives so you need to also?”.I feel like it’s none of their business I’m well aware I need to start driving I wish people gave helpful advice instead of stating the obvious or judging me. I recently asked my parents could I practice at a nearby building so I can get back comfortable driving but said they I’m way past that stage and that I need to just get on the road and go. I don’t want to get on the busy road (heavy traffic where I live) until I’m confident in what I’m doing. I wish I hadn’t of been scared when I first learned because now my parents don’t want to help. The people around me really don’t understand that driving anxiety is a very real thing and most people try to shame me or laugh. Can someone give me helpful advice on how they overcame driving anxiety?
Hi Chargirl20!

Wow, you sound so much like me! I've had many of the same experiences you have. My hands sweat when I'm at the wheel and it is hard for people to take my anxiety seriously. My mom has been reluctant to help drive now because of how tense our lessons have been.

I'm 26 and I haven't learned to drive, but I do have some advice for you. After ten agonizing of "learning" to drive, I realized that in my heart, I didn't want to drive. I felt compelled to, like I was expected to and that there were no other options so that's why I kept trying to learn. I thought I'd never have my freedom any other way. But where I live, I can get an Uber to work every day. That means, being a passenger and enjoying my freedom which is exactly what I want. This way, I don't have to deal with the practical side of driving (car insurance, gas, repairs) nor do I have to have the responsibility of owning and maintaining a car that I don't even want.

I'm very happy with my decision because I listened to what my gut was telling me from day one -- don't do this! And maybe it won't work out, but it's nice to know there's other options. Take a look and see what public transportation is available in your area. You might just find a more satisfying alternative than being behind the wheel.

Just listen to your gut. Is this something you want or is there a better way you haven't come across yet?