• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Getting off a Depot?

A

antipsionic

Ok at the moment I'm on a 37.5 mg dose of Reisperdal Consta in depot injection form every two weeks. I also should be taking a 2 mg oral dose of Risperidone as and when required and 30mg of Citalopram daily, I stopped taking the Citalopram about 6 months ago and haven't felt depressed and haven't taken any oral Risperidone for months.

I had a Psychiatrist who I really liked and trusted several years ago who suggested that I went on the depot after numerous overdoses in bids to escape my paranoid delusions. Basically my weight has ballooned from ten to sixteen stone and I'm pig sick of losing my creativity and motivation due to anti-psychotics, basically I want to come off the depot and take oral meds so I can control the dosage.

I'm thinking of stopping anti-psychotics for good, I managed to function in society and get to work every day for years without a diagnosis even though I was quite out there, I just kept my delusions to myself. I used large amounts of street drugs (not hard ones, though I've dabbled with heroin and crack) for years even when I was working so am a little worried I've damaged my brain chemistry beyond repair so maybe stopping anti-psychotics may be a little extreme.

I had a friend who just stopped turning up for his depot and insisted they gave him oral meds and I am thinking about doing the same but because of community treatment orders I'm worried the powers that be will just come round and stick a needle in my arse anyway.

Has anyone else stopped their depot officially and what strategies did they use?

Any help is appreciated.

T

Twylight

Yes, good move
Providing you can convince your psyche, that your going to regularly take the prescribed dose - no worries

Wendy

Wendy

Hello ,I used to be on risperdone consta I came off it because of the pain of the jab (big baby!) and the weight gain.
Now I take another antiypchotic.
Please be careful when u decide to stop the jabs if they decide that you need it they can force you i e section you warning!!
Take care
wendy x