• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Getting off a Depot?

A

antipsionic

Ok at the moment I'm on a 37.5 mg dose of Reisperdal Consta in depot injection form every two weeks. I also should be taking a 2 mg oral dose of Risperidone as and when required and 30mg of Citalopram daily, I stopped taking the Citalopram about 6 months ago and haven't felt depressed and haven't taken any oral Risperidone for months.

I had a Psychiatrist who I really liked and trusted several years ago who suggested that I went on the depot after numerous overdoses in bids to escape my paranoid delusions. Basically my weight has ballooned from ten to sixteen stone and I'm pig sick of losing my creativity and motivation due to anti-psychotics, basically I want to come off the depot and take oral meds so I can control the dosage.

I'm thinking of stopping anti-psychotics for good, I managed to function in society and get to work every day for years without a diagnosis even though I was quite out there, I just kept my delusions to myself. I used large amounts of street drugs (not hard ones, though I've dabbled with heroin and crack) for years even when I was working so am a little worried I've damaged my brain chemistry beyond repair so maybe stopping anti-psychotics may be a little extreme.

I had a friend who just stopped turning up for his depot and insisted they gave him oral meds and I am thinking about doing the same but because of community treatment orders I'm worried the powers that be will just come round and stick a needle in my arse anyway.

Has anyone else stopped their depot officially and what strategies did they use?

Any help is appreciated.

T

Twylight

Yes, good move
Providing you can convince your psyche, that your going to regularly take the prescribed dose - no worries

Wendy

Wendy

Hello ,I used to be on risperdone consta I came off it because of the pain of the jab (big baby!) and the weight gain.
Now I take another antiypchotic.
Please be careful when u decide to stop the jabs if they decide that you need it they can force you i e section you warning!!
Take care
wendy x

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Getting off Lithium + Mirtazipine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
M I got off sleeping pills and getting off anti-depressants! Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
D Getting off Cymbalta, how to? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
D Getting off of seroquel Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
BEASTMODEWARRIOR my needs are not getting met, i can't achieve my goals in my family they are so narracistic. i hope abilify works soon. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
H Getting reliant on Promethazine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
K Need help getting back my feelings! Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
Alex_Nash getting fat from AP Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
N Help, waiting list and getting medicine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F Physicians, Patients Not Getting Full Information on Antipsychotic Drugs Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
C think i am getting Tardive Dyskinesia? experience? advice? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
L Have come off paliperidone with doctors approval but wander how long to lose weight and be back to myself Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
C Weaning off Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 20
S Help being weaned off alprazolam Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
stevie_sloth Can anyone else abruptly come off antidepressants and feel no different? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 22
Jam1990 Wanting to taper off my antipsychotic Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
L Wanna go off antipsychotics Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
R Coming off Celexa Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
T I am going to be discharged from cmht to gp, am i allowed to come off the anti psychotic medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
D Coming off risperidone? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
S Coming off medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Shana09 I have been off my anti-psychotics (Quetiapine) for about 14 weeks now and... Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 9
N Weaning Off Ativan Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
D coming off of amisulperide Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
G Comming off Zopiclone and Anxiety Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
L comming off depot Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Hello513 I am off meds again Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 13
R I’m coming off sertraline Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
B Coming off citalopram Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
D coming off invega sustenna (paliperidone injection) Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Kezav18 Coming off ciatralopram onto sertraline Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 19
C Detoxing off citalopram Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
jajingna Off the meds for several months Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
W Help tapering off Lamictal and finding new med Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 17
W Tapering off Lamictal and findig Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
N 25ml Abilify - Novelty dose wearing off/irritiblity/slight reduction unofficially of dose- 20 ml Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
P Coming off lithium Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
N Very well balanced and stablised reduced to 5ml dose of Fluxoetine, to seek GP service for tapering and then off Fluxoetine permanently. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
Mr S I’m coming off medication full stop. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
H Coming off 5mg trintellix directly Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
S How to come off buspirone (buspar)? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 0
H Really want to come off meds Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
F Coming off 5mg olanzapine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
A Tapering off Abilify Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 14
J Coming off Mirtazapine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
R Planning to go off SSRI meds. Lets discuss. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
jojo94 Trying to come off medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 16
R I'm so pi**ed off!!! Are these doctors crazy?! Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 18
Drooo I came off medication, this is what happened. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
Anon_21 Don't Want to get off Xanax... Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7