• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

getting into debt

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
i`ve got into so much debt since the council gave me a flat, it really scares me as i live on benifits and it scares me anyway becuase i dont know what i`ve spent that money on.
i really dont know what to do as i dont have much money left after paying the payments and paying my bills.:unsure:

T

TabbyToes

Can you get in touch with the CAB or another advice agency. They may well be able to help you sort out your debts and help you to approach the companies that you owe money to so you can afford to live. You will have to stop using your cards though and agree not to get any more.

L

lonelyandlost

Like Tabbytoes has said contact CAB and get them to help you through

There are also budget calculators on the net (free to use) that you can maybe use to help you budget your week/month and try and stick to it

J

jamesdean

i`ve got into so much debt since the council gave me a flat, it really scares me as i live on benifits and it scares me anyway becuase i dont know what i`ve spent that money on.
i really dont know what to do as i dont have much money left after paying the payments and paying my bills.:unsure:
How much do you owe I owe just £200 short of £11,000. n it doesent ever get any less when you pay some off.

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
How much do you owe I owe just £200 short of £11,000. n it doesent ever get any less when you pay some off.
about half that james but its still really worryin, i dont know how i`ve done it and like you said you dont seem to make a dent in it after ur payments.

J

jamesdean

Yeah its really worrying I just asked for an increase in my over draught @ the bank, but do you know little britain" computer says no" At least I've got a sense of humour.

T

TabbyToes

it doesent ever get any less when you pay some off.
This is why I went to the CAB. Each month, I was making payments and then having to use my credit card to make ends meet. It hasn't been easy and there was the risk of court summons, but I'm no longer paying interest on any of my debts and the payments (which have been accepted by the relevant companies) are lower than they should be.

I changed banks (because I had an overdraft and a credit card with mine) and now have an ordinary bank account ~ no overdraft (though they offered one, I refused), a debit card, no credit card (offered and refused) and cheque book. I was lucky to get a debit card ~ I thought I'd end up with an electron card.

I am so glad that I did it though. It is much easier knowing that someone has helped me work a plan out and ensured that I can stick to it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I haven't got a credit card and have savings within what your allowed on income support, i'm quite the miser, you could see if you could get more benefits or take out a crisis loan to pay some off it off, theres no interest

I totally resent it when i talk about lack of money and these mental health workers start going through income expenditure, i'd like to see them live on that money one of the reasons my view of mental health workers is sack the lot of them

The benefits aren't designed for independent living in a flat

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
your right rambo my flat would be bare if i didnt owe anymoney.

good for you tabbytoes it must of been a good plan.