Getting help

U

User383778

I’ve been struggling with my mental health for a couple years now and I’ve never really done anything about it because I’m a very private person and don’t like to let people see me upset/ emotional etc. I finally told a friend about how I’ve been feeling and she’s told me she thinks it’s a good idea to go to the doctors to talk about it. I want to go because they could potentially help me but my anxiety is just getting in the way. I know the nurse is nice but even calling the receptionist and explaining feels impossible. I’ve tried to book online but it doesn’t work and I just don’t think I can face talking to someone on the front desk about it. What would I even say? I feel stupid saying my friend has told me to get help because she thinks I have anxiety/ depression because then I think the doctor will rule them out straight away. I’m scared to talk to someone about it and then they tell me it’s all in my head and everybody feels this way. Anybody have any advice as to what to say or do?

Lilbubble

Lilbubble

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

Your friend is right, you should make a doctor appointment.

Receptionist issue - I get that it's the same at my surgery, to be honest it doesn't matter what you tell them so long as you get an appointment. You could tell them you've had lots of headaches lately ??, chesty cough for weeks ??, an ear infection ?? an unexplained skin rash ?? It doesn't really matter so long as you get the appointment, once you get to speak to the doctor just explain you don't have that issue, you just didn't want/ know how to explain what the problem is. I personally guarantee you'll not be the first to access help this way.

Alternatively, tell the receptionist, it's a personal matter you'd prefer to discuss with the doctor.

Well done for recognising you need help :)

Good luck x