• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Getting Help (Except Therapy)

JustinS1998

JustinS1998

I was just wondering if anybody knows of ways to get help/help yourself that are not related to therapy. I have tried therapy too many times and it just has not worked out for me (also I can’t afford it). I have been suicidal almost every day for about four years now, and nothing I have tried seems to help long-term. I have tried getting other people’s help like talking to people and therapy (even checked myself into a hospital once), and I have even tried the basic stuff like eating healthy and exercising, but nothing seems to work. I have even tried online forums such as these, but they prove to help very little, and this is just about the last chance I’m willing to give it. Am going to kill myself very soon, not much more I can take, unless I find some kind of breakthrough that makes life worth living.

Z

Zoe1

hi Justin

I used to find nothing works until I tried group therapy

:grouphug:

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

I was just wondering if anybody knows of ways to get help/help yourself that are not related to therapy. I have tried therapy too many times and it just has not worked out for me (also I can’t afford it). I have been suicidal almost every day for about four years now, and nothing I have tried seems to help long-term. I have tried getting other people’s help like talking to people and therapy (even checked myself into a hospital once), and I have even tried the basic stuff like eating healthy and exercising, but nothing seems to work. I have even tried online forums such as these, but they prove to help very little, and this is just about the last chance I’m willing to give it. Am going to kill myself very soon, not much more I can take, unless I find some kind of breakthrough that makes life worth living.
Hi I tried therapy on and off for years. It was a waste of time really. I am on medication for depression and anxiety. It helps but not enough, I have also been on many meds. I just go through each day as I can. I'm not sure what to suggest accept talking to a Dr and they may be able to help you as far as getting health insurance. People on here may give you better info.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

It may help to have a look at these two pages on the forum: Suicidal Crisis and Mental Health Forum - Getting Help about what to do if you're feeling suicidal, or if you need emergency help. I hope you can use the forum for support during this difficult time.

If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Have you considered calling a talk helpline or a crisis hotline? They may be able to provide you with support.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Just rest
eat well
walk
sunshine
nature
rest
peace
reduce stress

jajingna

jajingna

Like so many others, I'm trying to get to a better place. Being depressed and anxious is a drag. There are some self-help sites but you may not like them if they just look like therapy. I do some writing. And some EFT tapping for anxiety. It does help. It doesn't fix everything, but a little improvement is better than none. If you've had issues for years then it takes time to chip away at them. Finding out what you can do to make yourself gradually get a little better over time, is a good approach. Better than just saying "it's hopeless." Having a good friend to talk things through with, that would be good. I'd like that.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Meditation and mindfulness practice can really help, they just take time and effort to start to see the results so if you try, stick with it 😀

H

Helen1960

I live in Scotland and ring the Samaritan most days. They listen. They don't have answers but they care.