• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Getting back into work.

Jo1760

Jo1760

I have worked for the same company for 9 years, last september my boss suggested i took some time off, maybe come back at christmas time. Between September and November the relationship between the two of us went downhill at a rate I couldn't keep up with. I felt there was no way I could return to the company at all.

I have since handed my notice in and am due to complete my notice period at the start of March.

My concerns are firstly will i be able to get a job, I doubt very much my employer will give me a reference and it seems all my years working for such a company are completely wasted.

And secondly how do I go abaout explaining the last 6 months? (I have been signed off with depression)

If anyone has experienced a similar situation, I would be so incrediably grateful for any advice as to how I move forward now.

Thank you in advance.

X

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

I'm in the process of dipping my little toe back into the job market (mainly for therapeutic reasons at this stage).

The only thing I would say about your period of illness is just to be honest about it. Having said that I was honest and now I'm in the midst of sanctioning reports from my GP to satisfy occupational health people.

Good luck!

Jo1760

Jo1760

Thank you so much for your reply Honeyquince - Good luck with your job hunting also. I hope things work out well for you. I hope getting the reports to your new employer doesn't cause too much worry also.

Thank you again.

X

SimonB

SimonB

I hope you get this message in time...

I think you'll find that you are covered by the DDA [Dissability Discrimination Act] firstly in your old job, your employer has to make reasonable adjustments and must not discriminate against you because of your mental health problems even if they did not know you were mentally unwell and secondly in going for new employment your mental health history is confidential, declare what you need to declare and that is all. If you you want to raise your mental health make sure your positive about it and that you manage it well.

You could potentially take your current employer to a tribunal, but you need to seek advice...I think you have three months within which to place a complaint that discrimination has taken place

Check it out on the web

Simon

Jo1760

Jo1760

Thank you Simon for you advice. It has been really helpful - I do appreciate you responding.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest regarding telling my next employer.

Jo

SimonB

SimonB

Glad to be of help to someone

I know its horrible when these situations arise, sometimes the best thing to do is leave and start a fresh somewhere else. A similar thing happened to me which was a shocker as my colleagues [all qualified nurses] didn't spot depression when it was right in their faces, I left after I had recovered as I felt there was nothing left for me there...after 10 yrs

Just wanted to say one more thing, as a manager I interview alot of people for nursing vacancies, if someone mentioned depression to me the depression wouldn't be an issue, especially if they have held down a job for 9 yrs! I would be interested in how they cope with it and their ability to keep themselves functional.

Generally I wouldn't dwell on it or even ask unless the interviewee raised it as it is a matter for occupational health to decide whether the person is employable on health grounds. I'm sure this may different though for smaller companies.

Be positive and you'll be ok...promise!

Simon(y)