• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Getter Better - PTSD and CPTSD

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide

Getting better
Try to start doing the normal things of life that have nothing to do with your past experiences of trauma.
This could include finding friends, getting a job, doing regular exercise, learning relaxation techniques, developing a hobby or having pets. This helps you slowly to trust the world around you.
Lack of trust in other people – and the world in general – is central to complex PTSD. Treatment often needs to be longer to allow you to develop a secure relationship with a therapist – to experience that it is possible to trust someone in this world without being hurt or abused. The work will often happen in 3 stages:
Stabilisation
You:
  • learn how to understand and control your distress and emotional cutting-off, or 'dissociation'. This can involve 'grounding' techniques to help you to stay in the present – concentrating on ordinary physical feelings to remind you that you are living in the present, not the abusive and traumatic past.
  • start to 'disconnect' your physical symptoms of fear and anxiety from the memories and emotions that produce them, making them less frightening.
  • start to be able to tolerate day-to-day life without experiencing anxiety or flashbacks.
This may sometimes be the only help that is needed.
Trauma-focused Therapy
EMDR or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help you to remember your traumatic experiences with less distress and more control. Other psychotherapies, including psychodynamic psychotherapy, can also be helpful. Care needs to be taken in complex PTSD because these treatments can make the situation worse if not used properly.
Reintegration
You begin to develop a new life for yourself. You become able to use your skills or learn new ones, and to make satisfying relationships in the real world.
Medication can be used if you feel too distressed or unsafe, or if psychotherapy is not possible. It can include both antidepressants and antipsychotic medication – but not usually tranquillisers or sleeping tablets.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That is very interesting Tawny, thank you for sharing. I have heard of PTSD but didn't really know what it was. I have a very hard time trusting anyone. I am very picky about who I talk to and even the slightest thing can make me back away from them. It's like I read into every single word people say to me. I have no idea if it is PTSD but there seem to be a lot of simular things with with I experience.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
That is very interesting Tawny, thank you for sharing. I have heard of PTSD but didn't really know what it was. I have a very hard time trusting anyone. I am very picky about who I talk to and even the slightest thing can make me back away from them. It's like I read into every single word people say to me. I have no idea if it is PTSD but there seem to be a lot of simular things with with I experience.
I feel that trauma in our past can be on a scale of 0 - 10 and so maybe some of your difficulties come from it? I mean that PTSD can range from 0 -10, just like many other diagnoses perhaps.

We all need to be so sympathetic to ourselves, for all of the difficulties we have been through, and i think too other people. There are people i have come across in life who have been so unkind to me and i think i can place many of their problems down to trauma.

It makes you think doesn't it.

Be kind is probably the best thing, to ourselves and others. Self protection though is essential for all mental health disorders i think.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel that trauma in our past can be on a scale of 0 - 10 and so maybe some of your difficulties come from it? I mean that PTSD can range from 0 -10, just like many other diagnoses perhaps.

We all need to be so sympathetic to ourselves, for all of the difficulties we have been through, and i think too other people. There are people i have come across in life who have been so unkind to me and i think i can place many of their problems down to trauma.

It makes you think doesn't it.

Be kind is probably the best thing, to ourselves and others. Self protection though is essential for all mental health disorders i think.
I have always put others first, and I've always been used because of that. Now I don't trust people, I read them like a book. I went to a therapist my Dr sent me to. He started asking me questions and said he wants to help. I said tell me the honest truth, what do you enjoy doing most? He said he enjoys golfing. I said then tell me honestly, if you were not getting paid would you be sitting here on this beautiful day listening to my b.s or would you be golfing? He stuttered a lot and said "well we all need money and a job" I said yes, but again, no money what would you do? He answered honestly and said he would be golfing. Trust comes with knowing someone and having a connection, imo. Not really any point to that other then yes, I definitely put myself first now and read people like books.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have always put others first, and I've always been used because of that. Now I don't trust people, I read them like a book. I went to a therapist my Dr sent me to. He started asking me questions and said he wants to help. I said tell me the honest truth, what do you enjoy doing most? He said he enjoys golfing. I said then tell me honestly, if you were not getting paid would you be sitting here on this beautiful day listening to my b.s or would you be golfing? He stuttered a lot and said "well we all need money and a job" I said yes, but again, no money what would you do? He answered honestly and said he would be golfing. Trust comes with knowing someone and having a connection, imo. Not really any point to that other then yes, I definitely put myself first now and read people like books.
I also can see straight through the bs and also now put myself first.

I hate counselling too as it feels fake, but i do understand that many counsellors think in a different way to me, more scientific, cause and effect, and they can see the bigger picture where as i can only see the complex and detail. Other people can be of help to us even if they are getting paid and would prefer to be golfing. He was a bit stupid to fall into that trap wasn't he ;)

Did you continue seeing him?

I do have a love of people though, their imperfections i love the most, the human real genuine person.

Your thoughts aren't bs. Everybody deserves to be listened to. We all have something to say.

Being used is painful though and i know lots about that too. I am more cautious with my time and energy now. I learnt the hard way too. I don't know, i still don't understand much, but i am more cautious too. I'm sorry you know how that feels.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I also can see straight through the bs and also now put myself first.

I hate counselling too as it feels fake, but i do understand that many counsellors think in a different way to me, more scientific, cause and effect, and they can see the bigger picture where as i can only see the complex and detail. Other people can be of help to us even if they are getting paid and would prefer to be golfing. He was a bit stupid to fall into that trap wasn't he ;)

Did you continue seeing him?

I do have a love of people though, their imperfections i love the most, the human real genuine person.

Your thoughts aren't bs. Everybody deserves to be listened to. We all have something to say.

Being used is painful though and i know lots about that too. I am more cautious with my time and energy now. I learnt the hard way too. I don't know, i still don't understand much, but i am more cautious too. I'm sorry you know how that feels.
I have nothing about therapists and I think they help a lot of people. They are (mostly) trained and probably genuinely care to an extent. But I don't feel like I need therapy to tell me I've been screwed by the wrong people, I have eyes now. It is the anxiety (if that is what it is?) I can't seem to overcome.

No, I walked out and never went back. It wasn't I didn't like him, I just didn't find it helped for me personally. I know I've been used, I know I've been screwed over by people and I know now how to avoid that, I don't need anyone to tell me get to know someone before trusting them. Although he seemed to think most people can be trusted.. then why lock your doors doc? Lol.

Anyway I chalk it up as learning, but yes it really sucks learning the hard way sometimes. I love people too. I give my heart to anyone who wants to feel loved. If someone needs the shirt off my back it is theirs. But my trust is an entirely different thing.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

ACCOUNT CLOSED
*I have nothing against therapists I ment to say

S

SunnyDaze

. I feel that trauma in our past can be on a scale of 0 - 10 and so maybe some of your difficulties come from it? I mean that PTSD can range from 0 -10, just like many other diagnoses perhaps
PTSD is caused by severe traumas like assault,rape,serious car accidents,war etc. life threatening events. There's specific criteria that needs to be met in order to be diagnosed with it. It doesn't range from 0 to 10. A person either has it or they don't.

Trauma though,on the other hand, can be just about anything. And it doesn't cause all the symptoms like PTSD does. Or it does for awhile but then goes away(it's explained in the link posted) Not all trauma causes PTSD,most doesn't actually.

But because it's not diagnosed as PTSD doesn't mean a person doesn't suffer and struggle though. Any trauma leaves an impact on a person.

I guess I just wanted to clarify,I hope you don't mind.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
PTSD is caused by severe traumas like assault,rape,serious car accidents,war etc. life threatening events. There's specific criteria that needs to be met in order to be diagnosed with it. It doesn't range from 0 to 10. A person either has it or they don't.

Trauma though,on the other hand, can be just about anything. And it doesn't cause all the symptoms like PTSD does. Or it does for awhile but then goes away(it's explained in the link posted) Not all trauma causes PTSD,most doesn't actually.

But because it's not diagnosed as PTSD doesn't mean a person doesn't suffer and struggle though. Any trauma leaves an impact on a person.

I guess I just wanted to clarify,I hope you don't mind.
There are varying degrees of trauma ranging from mild to severe or 0-10.
symptoms can also range from mild to severe
at some point along that scale a disorder can be diagnosed
I am on that scale myself

S

SunnyDaze

I am from the US, it must be different where you live.

Here the DSM is used to diagnose PTSD and I don't think they use a scale for trauma. They go by symptoms and the type of trauma.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think it is the same here but there are people who have had more severe trauma than others and also i was told that how the person views it is important, so what is traumatic for one person might not be as traumatic for another, so not everyone develops PTSD, even if they have both been through the same experience. I really like that part of it, i like how it is seen through the eyes of the sufferer and not just the judgment of the psychologist.

I don't know anyone with PTSD but i have watched those documentaries on men returning from WW2 who clearly had it. It was very sad to see how much some were affected, really severe symptoms wasn't it.

S

SunnyDaze

That is true,for example,that 2 women could be assaulted in the exact same way and one could end up developing PTSD and the other not. That's why I said not all trauma causes it .

That's what I was trying to convey in my post. A person can be traumatized by just about anything,but being traumatized doesn't mean it's PTSD. They are treated for their trauma but it's not diagnosed as PTSD unless they fit the criteria for it. It also doesn't mean their trauma isn't severe it just means it's not PTSD.

Many people tend to think anytime they've been through traumatic events and are struggling because of it then t's PTSD. But that's not the case.

I have been diagnosed with it. I don't struggle as much as I did before years of trauma therapy. When I've been triggered by something though,things can get really bad.

Mine is from my childhood. None of my siblings have been diagnosed with it though, but they have been traumatized by it. Each person is different in how badly trauma impacts them and I guess that proves it.

S

SunnyDaze

Also, professionals aren't going to give someone the PTSD diagnosis for things like a spouse cheating, a bad breakup,embarrassing situations, a pet dying,etc. It's usually for life threatening traumas.
Although a cheating spouse is traumatic,it's not anything life threatening.

Here's some examples of what can cause it from the link you posted:

• serious accidents
  • military combat
  • violent personal assault (sexual assault, physical attack, abuse, robbery, mugging)
  • being taken hostage
  • terrorist attack
  • being a prisoner-of-war
  • natural or man-made disasters
  • being diagnosed with a life-threatening illness
Of course there's many more things that can cause it. My point being it usually takes those types of severe traumas to cause it. Where you are in fear of your own life or the life of someone else.

That's the difference in being traumatized and PTSD from what my therapist explained. (But even in those scenarios not everyone will develop it)