• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Germphobia + workmen

• Thread starter strawberrywater
  • Start date
S

strawberrywater

There's workmen always in my apartment. They might as well get their own bed and settle in, because something needs fixed a few times a week.

Mostly, the workmen just come in and look at what needs done. My landlord sends several different workmen to look at the problems. Then one finally fixes it. Then something else breaks and needs fixed - repeat process.

I have a germphobia. I don't know how I haven't snapped yet with the amount of filthy workmen who have been all over my apartment and basically have touched everything I own. They track in dirt - the tan carpet is now dark brown where they walk. They stain countertops with dirt, they lay their tools wherever they want. I'm at the end of my last nerve.

I always have to pack up my belongings in boxes of else they will accidentally break things or get dirt and plaster all over my stuff. One time a guy only had to plaster part of the ceiling, but I found plaster flung clear across the room -- onto my $800 laptop that thankfully I had covered. It's a tiny apartment so I can't put everything away or move everything out of their way, so a lot of the time I can only cover things with a sheet and they have to work around it.

Plus the fact they're in here, in my "safe air" gets me angry. I feel like their germs are all over in the air now and nothing is safe. I have to spray Lysol in the air, wipe down every surface in the whole apartment, shower, wash my hair, and put on clean clothes.

Being a germaphobe and living in a place that requires constant work is a nightmare. I wish I lived in a better place that wasn't falling apart so no workmen had to invade my space every few days. I feel like I spend all my time cleaning.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I'm not much of a germaphobe but when I comes to dirty people and strangers germs I guess I am so I can understand the frustration. It's not right that you should have to clean their mess. They are suppose to put sheets down where they work and clean their mess before they leave. I would take pictures of the dirt and show your landlord, tell him to have someone come in and clean after them if they can't respect the space and the time it's takes for you to have to clean up after them.