Generalized anxiety

H

Heymonkey76

Hi I'm new here. I'm just wanting to reach out to anyone feeling the same way as me. Im 28 years old and I suffer from generalized anxiety/social anxiety. I constantly feel like people are judging me or looking at me even if I'm just at the grocery store. If someone cuts me off while driving, I will obsessively think of that thought through out the day. I constantly have a feeling of guilt even though I've done nothing wrong, and I am always worrying about the "what ifs" especially when it comes to my family who live an hour away from me. The only thing that can somewhat calm my mind is to clean my house til I feel tired, or make the same list over and over again of what to do. I feel so bad for my husband.. I know it bothers him and he always thinks i just have a negative attitude towards life but that's not the case. I've tried excersie and yoga and I don't know what to do to shake these thoughts. I hope someone out there knows how I'm feeling. I just feel so misunderstood. Even in social situations, I am extremely shy and come off as rude for not talking or joining in the conversation :( the stress and anxiety is also causing my hair to fall out. How do you all cope with your anxiety???? Any advise or tips would be good.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can really relate to your post. :hug:
Especially that thing of something that others would deem really insignificant (your example of when you were driving), it becomes so big in your mind. If something like that happens to me it affects me all day.

I have found medication (citalopram) has helped me a lot. Also trying to distract myself (with a crossword or game on my phone) when my thoughts won't stop tormenting me.

N

Night owl

Hi, I can relate too. Its crippling me. I've just started to have psychotherapy, its a slow process, but its helping. I also take sertiline , dakopart and risperodone ( please excuse the spelling). I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety. Your not alone , im here if you ever want to chat. Xxx

A

Amyjane8812341

Hey
I'm 30 and for all my adult life I have had the same problem. It got that bad a fee years ago that I could not leave the house answer the phone or sit in my garden. I still have the problems that you describe but I am a lot better than I was. I did CBT and it took a long time but a tiny step at a time worked for me . The more I do things the easier it is x

E

emzz

Hi I'm new here. I'm just wanting to reach out to anyone feeling the same way as me. Im 28 years old and I suffer from generalized anxiety/social anxiety. I constantly feel like people are judging me or looking at me even if I'm just at the grocery store. If someone cuts me off while driving, I will obsessively think of that thought through out the day. I constantly have a feeling of guilt even though I've done nothing wrong, and I am always worrying about the "what ifs" especially when it comes to my family who live an hour away from me. The only thing that can somewhat calm my mind is to clean my house til I feel tired, or make the same list over and over again of what to do. I feel so bad for my husband.. I know it bothers him and he always thinks i just have a negative attitude towards life but that's not the case. I've tried excersie and yoga and I don't know what to do to shake these thoughts. I hope someone out there knows how I'm feeling. I just feel so misunderstood. Even in social situations, I am extremely shy and come off as rude for not talking or joining in the conversation :( the stress and anxiety is also causing my hair to fall out. How do you all cope with your anxiety???? Any advise or tips would be good.
Ditto Heymonkey I to could have written your post myself, if you'v not been to your GP yet please go and start the ball rolling for your road to recovery, it's a rocky road but it gets smoother! takecare.

M

MomLeslieM

Oh goodness Monkey...YES, as the other posters have already said, please do talk to your GP and see if he/she can refer you for counseling and maybe even some meds that will help - even to get you over the hump so that therapy can help. Until you can get into therapy, try to ask yourself and analyze why you feel judged and worry so much. Since yoga and exercise don't seem to work for you try other things like the calming videos you can find online and grounding techniques. Praying you can get some good, solid help to find peace and calm.

S

steph218

This post spoke to me as it is 100% how i feel too - I am also 28 and constantly feel like i'm arguing with myself ! I always feel so guilty because i end up bailing on my friends and make up excuses when i really just cannot face leaving the house! I am on Fluoxitine which is also good for my OCD so maybe speak to the doctor about that. One other thing that has helped recently is i have downloaded a meditation app called 'headspace' and its really good - especially for sleep - just to help you relax and learn to accept the scary thoughts rather than running from them! Always here to chat to you if your having a bad day! I am going through a break up at the mo and believe me i have many bad days but you just have to know your doing okay! Reaching out for help and talking is one of the best things you can do :) your stronger than you think you are x