• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Generalized Anxiety that leads to paranoia

Jam1990

Jam1990

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is enjoying their day. My generalized anxiety has been at a high point lately. I notice that when my anxiety gets really high, I start getting paranoid thoughts; thoughts like I'm being spied on or followed. Sometimes I even start feeling like other people are able to access information from my thoughts. I realize how unlikely all of this is, but I still feel like the .001% chance is enough to set me off. Sometimes I can talk myself into letting these things go, but it only lasts for a few minutes at the most and then I'm back to being anxious and paranoid. I take 1.5 mg of Risperidone to help with my paranoia, but it only goes so far. I just wish I could find a way to shift my mind into not worrying about these things that are extremely unlikely to happen. I can sometimes feel the anxiety in my chest which causes mild discomfort and my body starts to shake from the inside. I'm mostly just wanting to write all of this out because it helps to put my thoughts down but I would love any input or suggestions. I know I'm not alone in this, but sometimes I can't help but feel like it.

D

Drama_llama

A couple of months ago I went through a phase where I thought people could hear what i was thinking - I know they can’t as it’s impossible - but I still got paranoid. I used to try to stop thinking just in case. I get the feeling that I’m being watched a lot as well, I can’t seem to relax anywhere, not even in my own bedroom. I always seem to be worried there are secret cameras I don’t know about hidden in my room - and logically I know there aren’t, but for some reason I can’t stop thinking about it.

Are you getting any help with this anxiety - like speaking to a therapist? If not do you do any distraction techniques when you feel this way? I usually try to take my mind off of it by focusing on something completely different, or recently I’ve been trying breathing exercises to do and they seem to be helping. Maybe try something like that if you aren’t already. Everyone’s different though, I think it’s just a bit of trial and error to find what works best for you.

Jam1990

Jam1990

A couple of months ago I went through a phase where I thought people could hear what i was thinking - I know they can’t as it’s impossible - but I still got paranoid. I used to try to stop thinking just in case. I get the feeling that I’m being watched a lot as well, I can’t seem to relax anywhere, not even in my own bedroom. I always seem to be worried there are secret cameras I don’t know about hidden in my room - and logically I know there aren’t, but for some reason I can’t stop thinking about it.

Are you getting any help with this anxiety - like speaking to a therapist? If not do you do any distraction techniques when you feel this way? I usually try to take my mind off of it by focusing on something completely different, or recently I’ve been trying breathing exercises to do and they seem to be helping. Maybe try something like that if you aren’t already. Everyone’s different though, I think it’s just a bit of trial and error to find what works best for you.
Hi Drama_llama (love your name). Thanks very much for your reply. It certainly makes me feel less alone with this issue. I do see a therapist every other week and I'm on a small dose of medication (risperidone). I'm trying not to take too much medication because it makes me paranoid as well. I just don't trust a lot of meds for some reason and I'm terrified of becoming too dependent on them.

I practiced some breathing techniques today, and they actually did take the edge off a bit. I also went on a good jog today which I haven't done in a long while. It also seems to have helped me a bit. I think that I'm getting a little too nuts lately with everything going on in the world and it's taking it's toll on me in a big way. It seems like there's just so much to worry about all of the time. I hope you're doing well and I really appreciate your words. It means a lot :)

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

It's also taking a toll on me, everything that's going on...Keep up with the jogging & breathing exercises..it's driving me crazy that I haven't been jogging like I used to. But I also do yoga and Pilates, which really help to get out of your mind and into your body...I am too nervous to become dependent on meds too, and I think people need to be offered ways to cope before doctors throw meds at them...but they don't always do that :doh:

ParxSP

ParxSP

Ooh yes, I get paranoid a lot. Like when people don't reply to messages and I think I've upset them. It hasn't been so bad since I came off Facebook to be honest but I hate the feeling.

T

The Martian

Hello,

I just posted a similar thread today:

I have also been experiencing episodes of paranoia in tandem with feelings of guilt. I have committed no real wrongdoing, but my body/mind react to minor things as if I have. It's like self-punishment and obsession for not being "perfect." And I get very real feelings of paranoia over it all. Can definitely relate to knowing how unrealistic the situation is, but feeling the effects anyway.

Thank you for posting your experience, Jam1990.