• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

General ideas.

Jo1760

Jo1760

I was thinking this afternoon as I was drifting in and out of sleep, that during my time i have known a lot of people mainly who i have been my staff at work, who really are the worst kind, they dont give a dam about anyone else, always seem to be involved in one scheme after another, but never get caught, or if they do somehow seem to get off or find some loop or claus that will help them out.
Yet the 3 people i know who either have depression or have had it in the past are the most lovely people you could meet, and they hated themselves to such an alarming point. i'd like to hope i wasn't too horrid a person, i try do my best for others beofre thinking about myself but i also feel terribly gulity that i'm doing something wrong or people wont like me. Althought this is a very negative rant the world is such an unfair place, i know this is also true for suffers or many other illness not just depression or other mental heath, it just got me thinking about things.

I would love to be able to tell these friends of mine how wonderful they all are individually and have them believe me, however i know this wont help them, in the same way that if someone said it to me i'd think they were only trying to be nice.

I hope each one of us starts on a path to feeling better as i think every person on this forum has a lot to give. I feel very grateful for all the advice given to me and it just shows what a lovely group of individuals have come together.

X

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I was thinking this afternoon as I was drifting in and out of sleep, that during my time i have known a lot of people mainly who i have been my staff at work, who really are the worst kind, they dont give a dam about anyone else, always seem to be involved in one scheme after another, but never get caught, or if they do somehow seem to get off or find some loop or claus that will help them out.
Yet the 3 people i know who either have depression or have had it in the past are the most lovely people you could meet, and they hated themselves to such an alarming point. i'd like to hope i wasn't too horrid a person, i try do my best for others beofre thinking about myself but i also feel terribly gulity that i'm doing something wrong or people wont like me. Althought this is a very negative rant the world is such an unfair place, i know this is also true for suffers or many other illness not just depression or other mental heath, it just got me thinking about things.

I would love to be able to tell these friends of mine how wonderful they all are individually and have them believe me, however i know this wont help them, in the same way that if someone said it to me i'd think they were only trying to be nice.

I hope each one of us starts on a path to feeling better as i think every person on this forum has a lot to give. I feel very grateful for all the advice given to me and it just shows what a lovely group of individuals have come together.

X
My mom always said, after her stay in hospital during her breakdown, that everyone she met there was so very nice. It doesn't mean that people who haven't suffered mental illness are'nt nice....but that, perhaps, suffering has given us some level of compassion we would not have had if not for our own suffering.

Maybe you should tell your friends. Maybe it won't help them as much as you'd like....but even your post has been uplifting for me. Because even if they don't feel better about themselves they may feel better about the world...knowing that you have been thoughtful and kind?

D

Dollit

I've had conversations with two friends in the past year, neither of which have ever had mental health problems but both of them have given my absolute support and love.

On separate occasions and totally spontaneously I've talked to them about what we mean to each other. How good it is to feel loved and know with absolute certainty that we'll always be there for each other. We talked about what we like about each other and what makes us bang our heads against a brick wall and we actually said I love you.

Those are the conversations we have about other people after they're dead and I'm glad I've had mine while we're still living.