• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Gender Ambiguity in Manic States

chesya

chesya

95% of the time I am very comfortable with my male gender and body image, but in some manic states I feel as if I am a woman.

I am comfortable with this, and represent myself as a woman in a lot of my art without it interfering with my basic everyday gender stability.

I wondered if anyone else had fundamental changes in their identity during manic or hypomanic states.

A

Apotheosis

I like Jungian ideas concerning the Anima & the Animus

http://www.innerexplorations.com/psytext/anima.htm

Without stereotyping; I am aware of my rational, logical, assertive & aggressive side; as well as a more mysterious, intuitive, emotional & receptive side - or more female aspects to myself as well as the male. Actually I feel quite balanced between both natures or sides to myself. I once did a very in depth assessment, which gauged whether our "thinking" & perception was either more male or more female; the result was exactly bang in the middle of the scale, with 50/50 each way. Maybe there is more "Femininity" within men these days, & more "Masculinity" within women?

I found it interesting what you said about being a male & wanting to have a baby by the woman you fancied. I have wondered what sex would be like from the perspective of a woman/ or being entered - not in a bottom sex way, but with the right bits. I hope that's not too explicit for the forum.

I have felt "like a woman" at certain times in psychotic states. I think gender alteration in perception; is common in ASC's - as everything has the potential to be altered in such states. In all other respects I am very "male". Personally I think you would have to go back at least 250-300 years to find a "real" or typically gender specific male &/or female; I do think the lines have become quite blurred over the past 200 years. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing?

Last edited:
chesya

chesya

Yes, I like the Jungian ideas on this too and thanks for the link.

About a year ago I went into a hypomanic phase where I became over-reactive and very irritable. I'd lash out at people and then feel terrible remorse. It felt like depression but I came out into a kind of mania in which I either felt myself or actually believed myself to be a woman.

I crashed out of it when my artwork was recognised on a site where I had previously registered as a man. I wasn't so deluded that I could reprocess the nastiness of people's reactions and I went into depression followed by an unpleasant hypomanic phase leading to a hospitalisation.

Regarding wanting a woman I fancy to be the 'father' of my children, we have or rather had :( a weird realtionship. We erotic role played on the net without specific sex acts but with her as a six inch woman and me a normal sized woman.

I think it's great to be able to explore our gender potential, but I think there's a lot to be said for getting rooted in real life and real life relationships. I hid in the Internet as a refuge from my wife. Now I've left her it's hard getting back into reality. And in reality I'm firmly and clearly a man.