• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

G'day

portree

portree

So what is there to tell about myself?

I'm nearing 50 and have lived with mental illness on and off since I was 18. I've had several major episodes over the years but only in 2001 was I diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Most of the time I'm OK, with the help of medication. I think, as time goes by, I'm getting to better understand my illness. Most importantly, I'm learning the symptoms that I'm in danger of spiralling into a manic episode.

Becoming manic is something that scares the sh*t out of me. The year when I was 18 was a total write-off for me. Then, about 4 years after that I had another year that was badly affected by an episode of mental illness. After that I had nearly a decade of being pretty stable before what I later came to understand as bipolar disorder reared its ugly head again. This time I spent several months in hospital suffering from all sorts of delusions followed by many months of deep depression.

Only after another disruptive episode when I was 40 did I receive a diagnosis that made sense. I could look back and see that I had experienced mania followed by long periods of depression. These days I generally have my guard up against the onset of a manic episode but sometimes it creeps up and hits me unaware.

I've found it a very challenging condition to deal with. Thankfully society is more tolerant of mental illness these days but it's still difficult to talk openly about, mainly because it's hard to find others that understand deeply enough. Psychiatrists and psychologists help but I get the impression that medical understanding of mental "disorders" has a very long way to go.

Anyway, enough rambling by way of introducing my ilness background. I should say that I do manage to live a relatively healthy and happy life for much of the time. Fortunately I have a fairly stable family including two lovely children. I manage to make a decent living and enjoy various sporting and other passions.

There you go, that's an introduction of sorts about me, under the moniker of "portree".

D

Dollit

Hi Portree and welcome to the fold. I too have bipolar disorder but I'm an ultradian rapid cycler - no fun at all. But I do have a lot of stability these days and it's been a hard fight but a worthwhile fight. I have a fantastic GP and a wonderful consultant and a support team to die for. People here are very supportive and I wouldn't have got through a particularly bad crisis last year if it hadn't been for the input of some of the ones most special to me.

portree

portree

Thank you, Dollit. I appreciate your kind welcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bodo Introduce Yourself 11