• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Gaps in service and support??

R

riverofdragons

Hello,

Bluetenrec and I have been discussing what we perceive as gaps in the services in Cambridge. There may be organisations out there we have not heard about, so firstly they may need to be publicised more widely. However if these gaps are in fact gaps then we want to do something about it.

I managed a charity for 6 years and have also assisted with the setting up of 3 other charities so if that is the way to go, i can definately help.

The gaps are:

- Services for 25yrs plus, before getting to retired age. Especially those without their own families.

- A lack of social activites for thoses people whose illness is not severe enough to qualify for existing organisations, but nevertheless do not feel able to take part in activites without support.

- Some kind of occasional support workers for people who do not need support for a set number of hours per week, but who need help on a one off or occasional basis, for example when a form comes through the door.

- Somewhere to go when people feel on the verge of harming themselves, or have harmed themselves in a manner requiring only basic medical treatment. Especially out of hours when Camdoc dont want to know and you dont want to go to A&E but need something...some help.

I would be very grateful for ideas, opinions etc

Thanks

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Not quite sure what you are asking riverofdragons?

IMO all the things that you mention should be part of the functions of a Mental Health Trust - I am not saying that they will be by any means and are inadequately provided for in Birmingham. But I guess my approach is to try and campaign for them to be provided. That's not to say other approaches are invalid - just my personal attempt at contribution when I am well.

Nick.

R

riverofdragons

I would like to make sure these type of services are on offer in our area.

So firstly I guess I am asking if anyone knows of services which I do not.

Secondly, do people in the area agree with these gaps?

and if they do agree would they like to take part in making things happen?

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Sorry I completely misunderstood :redface:. Yes that is an excellent approach and I wish you every luck with it. Are there any existing Service User/action groups in your area?

Nick.