• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Gaps in service and support??

R

riverofdragons

Hello,

Bluetenrec and I have been discussing what we perceive as gaps in the services in Cambridge. There may be organisations out there we have not heard about, so firstly they may need to be publicised more widely. However if these gaps are in fact gaps then we want to do something about it.

I managed a charity for 6 years and have also assisted with the setting up of 3 other charities so if that is the way to go, i can definately help.

The gaps are:

- Services for 25yrs plus, before getting to retired age. Especially those without their own families.

- A lack of social activites for thoses people whose illness is not severe enough to qualify for existing organisations, but nevertheless do not feel able to take part in activites without support.

- Some kind of occasional support workers for people who do not need support for a set number of hours per week, but who need help on a one off or occasional basis, for example when a form comes through the door.

- Somewhere to go when people feel on the verge of harming themselves, or have harmed themselves in a manner requiring only basic medical treatment. Especially out of hours when Camdoc dont want to know and you dont want to go to A&E but need something...some help.

I would be very grateful for ideas, opinions etc

Thanks

fenman

fenman

Hi, riverofdragons

I find it quite hard to progress things only through a forum. If nothing else, my one-fingered typing takes an age.

Perhaps I also see it from a different perspective coming at it from bipolar disorder. I might also know a few services that complement those you know.

I'd be happy to meet with you and/or any other people who are interested in sharing knowledge. identifying gaps and finding out the best way to press for improvements. As well as any direct knowledge I have, I also have a fair bit of contact with the mental health Trust so I might know 'a man who can' (or woman, of course).

If you want to go that route, generally speaking Mondays during the day and Thursday mornings are good. My favourite haunts are the Starbucks in Borders or the Black Cat café on Mill Road.

If that doesn't work I'll try to keep up through typing. :tea:

fenman

fenman

May I make a couple of extra points while I am waiting. please? I can see it is often up to a month between replies so my slow typing won't hold me up too much!

Firstly, it might be good for people to know that there is to be a big conference in Linton (just outside Cambridge) on Thurs 25 June called 'making Recovery a Reality...' It's hosted by the Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust and service users, cares, professional and voluntary groups are invited. It should have a big effect on how services evolve.

You can register interest by ringing 01223 726767.

The second thing is to take one of the points made above by riverofdragons. You talk about services for the over 25s. They are structured in a rather fragmented way. There are lots of them and it depends what people need. Are you talking about acute services, daycare, rehabilitation, community support, social or so on.

Several are provided by Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust. Their website is here. Their service director has a rather pathetic search engine :confused: but do try it.

Lifecraft's handbook - here- also lists a number of services. There are a lot of changes in statutory services, though.

I hope these comments are useful. :)

R

riverofdragons

Yes I joined the trust a few weeks back and recieved information a few days ago but it was all from last summer and every event in the programme had already past. Slightly annoying.

The conference on the 25th June sounds interesting - will have to look into that.

As for services for the over 25's, this is from my own experience as I have not been offered an help and support and know of 3 other people in the same situation. The main problem could well be signposting rather than gaps.

R

riverofdragons

Sorry, should had added....

About meeting up to discuss gaps etc...its a great idea. I would need to get someone to come with me but starbucks in borders is a good place.

I think tomorrow is too short notice and am seeing my psychiatrist on thursday morning so will most probably be in a complete state then. Then its bank holiday! So provisionally a week on thursday?

fenman

fenman

OK - if you're talking about April 16th it would need to be after 12noon. I actually have a meeting with the Trust's Recovery and Social Inclusion Board first thing that day.

Starbucks will be OK. Bring as many as you can get hold of. When we go firm I'll pm you the means to recognise me.

If you (or anyone) prefers to email then I can be reached on:

[email protected]

Going back to services for a moment, I think there are difficulties in getting services offered. Yet another issue is 'joined upness' if that's a word. Many teams have recently changed structure and there is lot of confusion about referrals between. The Trust is trying to overcome that but it's like painting the Forth Bridge.

Hope we manage to meet up.

R

riverofdragons

Ok, thats great.

So how about 12.30 (or 1pm?) in Starbucks (inside Borders) on Thursday 16th April.

If anyone else wants to come along please let me know so we can work how to recognise each other.

R

riverofdragons

12.30 then

R

riverofdragons

sorry have to cancel. not well this week