• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Gaming with social anxiety sucks when it comes to talking on mic

L

Lostinhell

I really hate how I’m afraid to talk to people on the mic when I am gaming social anxiety just takes away all the fun out of your life in many ways I can’t even enjoy having fun without feeling anxious and this just makes me feel worse

P

PerpetuallyStuck

Are you saying you would like to talk with others, but are too afraid to? Or is it that you play games that include the mic, and you feel put off by the fact that most of them do talk and you can't stand it..?

P

PerpetuallyStuck

Yea that I would like to talk to others
What sort of games do you play? Do you know what to say, but cannot bring yourself to talk, or is it that you can talk but don't know what to say?

Perhaps you could try to use the mic for like 10 mins or less to begin with. Perhaps pick a game that is sedate and doesn't have people yelling like in call of duty etc. I'm sure you could do it if you manage to take the first step and do it enough times. I know it is really difficult to find that courage though.

L

Lostinhell

First person shooters etc and I can but what’s the point if I’m just gonna be anxious every time and worrying what people would think of what I say it depends on what the other person is talking about but most of the time yea I just can’t bring myself to talk I filter what I say a lot

H

Headingtothelight

i pure know how you feel it’s really shit and feel like nobody knows me cos always gotta filter what i say just try pick one person to truly be urself whoever that may be and things will get better others might be anxious too not just u just remember they aren’t really there it’s online

Antimatter

Antimatter

I really hate how I’m afraid to talk to people on the mic when I am gaming social anxiety just takes away all the fun out of your life in many ways I can’t even enjoy having fun without feeling anxious and this just makes me feel worse
I understand this all too well. I questioned how good I am, expected to get abused and sometimes do.

I play PS4 and tend to avoid online play. They are some really good communities out there though. US kids are worst!

D

Duality

First person shooters etc and I can but what’s the point if I’m just gonna be anxious every time and worrying what people would think of what I say it depends on what the other person is talking about but most of the time yea I just can’t bring myself to talk I filter what I say a lot
i pure know how you feel it’s really shit and feel like nobody knows me cos always gotta filter what i say just try pick one person to truly be urself whoever that may be and things will get better others might be anxious too not just u just remember they aren’t really there it’s online
I understand this all too well. I questioned how good I am, expected to get abused and sometimes do.

I play PS4 and tend to avoid online play. They are some really good communities out there though. US kids are worst!
I can relate to this too.

In my experience, online gaming is competitive. The need for good conversation or getting to know new people isn't a priority to a lot of gamers.

Even with those who claim to want new gaming friends but don't make the effort once you're on their friend list. You're only important until they need someone to be in their squad or crew. They might talk but I always feel like I'm putting in more of an effort on the social side. For them, communication is purely a set of instructions on what to do and what not to do. It's not worth sacrificing your time for the sake of playing with anyone if they treat others like an option.

I genuinely like to talk and have a laugh. I've given plenty of livestreamers in the past a good time but once that stream goes offline then I'm not worth knowing outside of it. The last seven or eight hours of playing in their stream meant nothing.

Also... Some people don't like to laugh unless it's at the expense of others. They hide behind the anonymity of the tv screen. I've dealt with a lot of jealous, insecure people on the mic. I'm not trying to compete with others if we're on the same team. But... Someone always has something to nit pick about my in game character or choices in order to feel better. I don't care but it's amazing how common that attitude is.

There's a consensus that everyone knows how toxic the gaming community is but don't do anything positive to fix it. They treat gaming like a job. Or an excuse to vent their real life frustrations onto a stranger. They enforce the toxicity by playing in close nit groups. If you don't fit in then you're easy pickings for abuse. It's easier when they don't know your name.

Which is sad because gaming should be fun. I don't understand why people want to make the experience more stressful or difficult. There are good gamers out there though but it's mostly the minority who ruin it for everyone.

I like first person shooters. I know what you mean about feeling anxious because it affected my game sessions with others and worrying about what to say. There's pressure to play just as good as others on your team. I was so focused on playing well that I barely spoke in match and people picked up on that. I play better now because I remember to have fun. It's just a game. Conversation won't come easy if you're not having genuine fun. Otherwise it's just unwanted pressure and that's not what gaming is about.

P

PerpetuallyStuck

Which is sad because gaming should be fun. I don't understand why people want to make the experience more stressful or difficult. There are good gamers out there though but it's mostly the minority who ruin it for everyone.
I remember once playing a demo of Lost planet 2, and back then PS3 had free online. There was someone on there with a micophone going on about how great America was, and laughing about any other nationality. On the flip side there was a Japanese player who was on my team, and the guy was doing everything right. Even though neither of us had a mic, we were on the same page. Strange how you can find the best and worst of people in a blink of an eye.

D

Duality

I remember once playing a demo of Lost planet 2, and back then PS3 had free online. There was someone on there with a micophone going on about how great America was, and laughing about any other nationality. On the flip side there was a Japanese player who was on my team, and the guy was doing everything right. Even though neither of us had a mic, we were on the same page. Strange how you can find the best and worst of people in a blink of an eye.
That's the ugliness and the beauty of online multiplayer right there. The key is knowing what you're willing and not willing to put up with in order to have a good time.

P

PerpetuallyStuck

That's the ugliness and the beauty of online multiplayer right there. The key is knowing what you're willing and not willing to put up with in order to have a good time.
I'd say the same applies to real life. I've never had a tolerance for crap from people, but by not taking part, I've missed out on fun.