• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Gaining Weight

Sophie

Sophie

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think that this is the right place. When I was diagnosed with depression, and dissociation disorder, I was on very high dosage medication. I could not stop eating, I was hungry all the time. I put on 15kg. As I started to feel better, I was gradually weaned off the the meds. At the time I was taking 13 different pills a day. I am now down to just 3. Awhile ago I had a blood test for cholesterol, it was sky high, I was pretty much a walking time bomb. I was put on meds for this. With the massive cut down of my meds, I am now eating sensibly and don't feel the need to eat sweet things. My weight was starting to get me down, and I even asked my doctor for slimming pills, he refused. I have started doing a lot of work on our land, getting the weeds up, digging, and planting veg. My weight has started to come off, I feel to have more energy. Today I went to get the results of my cholesterol test, great news, it has come right down. I am still on cholesterol pills, but a lower dosage. Just thought I would share this with you.

L

LionAngel29

I was put on Stelazine and Procyclodine and it not only gave me a bad reaction why I had to take Procyclodine, but I stopped having periods and my body thought it was pregnant and so I was craving sugar. The Procyclodine tasted like sherbet. They put me on Olanzapine, I stopped having periods again and craved sugar, the Olanzapine tasted like bubble gum. I gained 3 stones in 2-3 months. When I went on Apiprizole and Mirtazepine I lost 2 stones in 2-3 weeks. I went on Seroquel and they said I won't put on weight unless I take it for a year, Seroquel XL the same which I'm also taking. Otherwise, I have had different weight problems as I was growing up. I was a chubby finicky baby and had Chronic Tonsilitis till age 13 when I had them out, all I ate was sweets because I couldn't eat my meals, sweets were to quench the hunger and to try to put on weight, I got skinny, when I was 12 I started to gain weight due to diatry changes, at 14 I put on a lot of weight, eating the same but also the anti-depressants they gave me. At 17 I put on weight again, lost weight at 18 and put loads more on at 19. Lost weight at 20 due to food allergy. I couldn't have milk for a while then, till I tried everything to replace it or different ways of having it (dried, warmed up, a small amount, etc.) I have had compulsive eating and mild Anorexia.

Sophie

Sophie

Another time when I was clinically depressed, my appetite went, which is nothing unusual with depression. It got to the point, where I could not eat anything other than semolina. Any normal food, seemed to stick in my throat, and make me gag. I lost just over half a stone, which brought my weight down to under 7 stone. I was working full time, and each day I would buy a sandwich at work, for breakfast. I would pull off the tiniest of pieces, most of it got wasted. I used to get a dinner at lunch time, most of this got wasted. Gradually I found that I was eating a little more, until 1 day I finished all my lunch off. This time round with the depression, I lost a load of weight through not eating. But like I said it was all down to the meds that put, my weight on. This is the most that I have weighed, even when I was pregnant, I didn't put a lot on.