• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Gained weight in two weeks

L

Lars V

Hi everyone. My binge eating disorder is getting worse I'm afraid. I've been good for over a month and just recently I started binging nearly every night on my children's sweets, ice cream and whatever sweet I can put my hands on really. My weight jumped 8 pounds and my weight loss is now ruined, or at least delayed. For past 3 days I forced myself to start a day with healthy, non processed foods and made myself walk and run for an hour everyday, but I still can't stop myself eating sugary things in the evening, thankfully a bit less than before, so my calorie balance is more or less at 0 at the moment. I understand that it's hard to give someone else any advice because we're all different, but maybe someone here has similar experiences and would like to share? It will be a great relief to read it :) Thanks

Z

Zoe1

hi Lars :welcome:

I'm struggling with the same thing
I've stopped the weight going up
but can't get it down

I'm counting calories but not strictly

just observing what I've had

I hope you find the forum helpful

:grouphug:🕯

D

DimpleDebz

Hey hey, my weight went up a lot from binge eating 3 months sigh. Same problem, it's my sons sweets etc. My binge eating stopped last week and I'm now back to starving myself which I hate too. I've only recently really realised that I'm not just Borderpolar with PTSD but I also have an eating disorder sigh. I can't tell you what happened, I just stepped on a scale last week and my brain did a 180

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Purpleplum

These foods aren't good for kids either. Why not start the whole family on healthy eating. Remove all salty chips (crisps in the UK I think they call them). Remove all sugary artificial food and replace them with fresh fruits, raisins, etc... Get all of that out of the house. The kids don't need them either. Out of sight, out of mind.

D

DimpleDebz

Mmm sound advice Purpleplum, however my son is 10, trains with a football club 3 times a week 90 mins each session and has a very healthy diet so I really don't mind him having some chocolate or crisps here and there all in moderation. I really think it's more about controlling myself than limiting him in any way. The good thing is, after a few days of not binging on sugary stuff, I really don't fancy it anymore. His sweets are safe now 😂 But yes I guess in cases where it really cannot be controlled then it's best not to have it at home at all

L

Lars V

hi Lars :welcome:

I'm struggling with the same thing
I've stopped the weight going up
but can't get it down

I'm counting calories but not strictly

just observing what I've had

I hope you find the forum helpful

:grouphug:🕯
Hi Zoe, thanks for sharing. I've managed to not overeat another day in a row and I'm really happy about it. I think exercise routine is now slowly forcing me to be more mindful of what I eat because it's really uncomfortable to do it on a full stomach. I also clocked 1200 kcal on a bike ride today so I allowed myself to not count calories obsessively. And how was your day? What are your after-binge tricks to limit food intake and get back in control?

L

Lars V

Hey hey, my weight went up a lot from binge eating 3 months sigh. Same problem, it's my sons sweets etc. My binge eating stopped last week and I'm now back to starving myself which I hate too. I've only recently really realised that I'm not just Borderpolar with PTSD but I also have an eating disorder sigh. I can't tell you what happened, I just stepped on a scale last week and my brain did a 180
Hello Debz, thanks for sharing. It is really good to know not only me has such intense struggles. I feel your pain when you wrote you gained a lot. Ever since finished dieting I regained a lot in three binge sessions. I'm shocked how much I'm capable to eat. It's a mixture of wanting to taste the food, sugar rush and indulging myself I guess and I can carry on all day long. I used to starve myself because from mathematical standpoint it was far superior way of cutting calories than daily deficit, but fasting days were very unproductive because I had no energy or mind clarity to get anything done so I had to stop. Do you do fasting Debz? How is it working for you? And is your binge eating triggered by recent dieting or has it always been there with you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zoe1

I think what reduces bingeing
is to eat a lot of vegetables ( and fruit if you can eat fruit )

I've just had a plateful of fresh vegetables from the microwave
with some oil and salt , very enjoyable

D

DimpleDebz

I've always had a binge starve routine I think but when I'm more stable, it's much less severe, so for example 2 weeks healthy eating and 2 weeks restricted calories but I also think that has a lot to do with my monthly cycle. Yes I do fast, usually between 1-5 days depending on how out of control I am of my life. I did fall into a fast at the beginning of the week but I've started intermittently fasting now, only eating a small meal between 2-3pm. It's not great but it's better than a liquid fast so I'll take the progress 😊

L

Lars V

I've always had a binge starve routine I think but when I'm more stable, it's much less severe, so for example 2 weeks healthy eating and 2 weeks restricted calories but I also think that has a lot to do with my monthly cycle. Yes I do fast, usually between 1-5 days depending on how out of control I am of my life. I did fall into a fast at the beginning of the week but I've started intermittently fasting now, only eating a small meal between 2-3pm. It's not great but it's better than a liquid fast so I'll take the progress 😊
It takes a lot of self discipline to do fasting when access to food is right there in the kitchen, you're doing really well :) I remember a time a while back when I was shedding weight like a champion on a daily deficit of over a 1000 and I was so happy with myself and proud. But I also had no energy for any resistance training or cardio and I was very moody with my family. Of course it all ended with a massive binge session. Now I'm trying to introduce a new mindset where training comes first, and calorie deficit second. I want to listen to my body telling me how much to eat to be able to be as active as I want. I don't know if I'll manage to lose weight this way, but I have a strong feeling that this model is more sustainable and a bit more binge-proof. Time will tell. In your experience, did you also notice that it is more difficult to maintain calorie balance when not dieting than deficit when dieting?

D

DimpleDebz

That's a really good mindset 😊 no not at all. I usually maintain quite easily but that's because I usually have the mindset "I exercise so I can eat what I want" in moderation of course haha. Plus watermelon is my fav fruit which helps I guess. I usually run 3 times a week and I'm quite active. In summer my dad and I usually swim across the lake once a week which is about 3500 meters. The last time I was this weight was 10 years ago 😂 but that's ok. I was stuck in a deep depression for a year and got my second and third diagnosis before this 7 month binge. All in all it's been 15 months now and I think I'm perhaps finally coming out of it and the weight that I piled on is the last thing to go. I'm aiming to do 1 run a week now (last time I ran was Feb 2020 lol) and just really restrict my portions to reset my body and mind after this mad binge. I'm sure we will both reach our goals, healthily and happily 🧡