• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

GAD/Panic Disorder/ ADD and ... Vertigo ?

D

Dsaul

Hi all! I'm new here and I'm hoping to make some contacts and gain some ideas or coping mechanisms :) also to help others who may be going through the same thing that I do daily. I suffer with GAD/terrible panic disorder and ADD. Its quite the combo, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've been dealing with all of this from a very young age. I had my first anxiety experience at the age of six, I was having chest pains that felt like squeezing, My mother took my to the hospital time after time with these terrible ' attacks'. It was later discovered at age 8 that I have a severe panic disorder and GAD.

I'm now in my 20's and i still deal with it daily to this day. Some years worse than others. I was able to manage it and work fulltime just last year for 3 years, this year it hit me in July and I haven't left the house in 2 months and can hardly do things around the house. I go to bed with it and I wake up with it. If you have panic disorder, you know the exact feeling I'm talking about. That rush feeling through your head and chest that make you want to collapse and cry. I call these current times my relapse episodes. My panic attacks are so terrible they will sometimes put me in an ER. I get extreme dizziness, which seems to be the biggest of all symptoms, it gets to the point where i have to lay down and cant move an inch. Very scary ! But also I get the sick stomach, headache, face numbness, shaking, tense muscles etc. ... you name it, I've probably felt it.

With all these things that come on so suddenly, sometimes the symptoms come on before the anxious thoughts even enter my mind, its hard to deal with it well, so I just distract myself all day with video games or tv shows. I hate that i have to do it but the symptoms are SO bad.

Does anyone else get Vertigo with their panic ? Does anyone have such bad physical symptoms from their panic attacks that the CBT treatments just don't seem to cut it? How do you cope ? I've seen ENT's, I've had MRI's cat scans and so much more, nothing has ever come back bad, so it presumed its my nerves. Would just like some other opinions :) Thanks !

* I should also note my anxiety seems to be health related ,I'm always scared of bad things physically happening to me.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Well done for coping so long and managing to work so long with this. I also worked with my symptoms and then very quickly, was unable to.

2 months is a long time to not have gone out. Have you tried counselling?

Sometimes we just need time to rest and recover, before we return to work in something less demanding and maybe less hours.

What hobbies do you have?

D

Dsaul

Well done for coping so long and managing to work so long with this. I also worked with my symptoms and then very quickly, was unable to.

2 months is a long time to not have gone out. Have you tried counselling?

Sometimes we just need time to rest and recover, before we return to work in something less demanding and maybe less hours.

What hobbies do you have?
I have been going to therapy(through video chat) it hasn't been super helpful because the symptoms are so bad. In currently starting zoloft at 50mg so hopefully next week when they up my dosage itll help soon !

Also I have a few hobbies, unfortunately I find myself unable to do them because most are quite physically demanding. So hard eh?? 😫 makes you wonder why any of us has to go through this !

P

Pheebee

Relate # tried loads of meds n only benzos ha e worked for me but they prescribe .have tou tried buspirone ? X

F

Fivestar90

Hi all! I'm new here and I'm hoping to make some contacts and gain some ideas or coping mechanisms :) also to help others who may be going through the same thing that I do daily. I suffer with GAD/terrible panic disorder and ADD. Its quite the combo, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've been dealing with all of this from a very young age. I had my first anxiety experience at the age of six, I was having chest pains that felt like squeezing, My mother took my to the hospital time after time with these terrible ' attacks'. It was later discovered at age 8 that I have a severe panic disorder and GAD.

I'm now in my 20's and i still deal with it daily to this day. Some years worse than others. I was able to manage it and work fulltime just last year for 3 years, this year it hit me in July and I haven't left the house in 2 months and can hardly do things around the house. I go to bed with it and I wake up with it. If you have panic disorder, you know the exact feeling I'm talking about. That rush feeling through your head and chest that make you want to collapse and cry. I call these current times my relapse episodes. My panic attacks are so terrible they will sometimes put me in an ER. I get extreme dizziness, which seems to be the biggest of all symptoms, it gets to the point where i have to lay down and cant move an inch. Very scary ! But also I get the sick stomach, headache, face numbness, shaking, tense muscles etc. ... you name it, I've probably felt it.

With all these things that come on so suddenly, sometimes the symptoms come on before the anxious thoughts even enter my mind, its hard to deal with it well, so I just distract myself all day with video games or tv shows. I hate that i have to do it but the symptoms are SO bad.

Does anyone else get Vertigo with their panic ? Does anyone have such bad physical symptoms from their panic attacks that the CBT treatments just don't seem to cut it? How do you cope ? I've seen ENT's, I've had MRI's cat scans and so much more, nothing has ever come back bad, so it presumed its my nerves. Would just like some other opinions :) Thanks !

* I should also note my anxiety seems to be health related ,I'm always scared of bad things physically happening to me.
I have been experiencing the exact same things...started resenting the doctors as I thought they just didn't believe me. Ive had numerous blood tests, scans and ents also...I feel every time I have an attack I am going to die or I have a neurological disorder...Im off work as I struggle to leave the house now. Hope this gives you some reassurance. I start my CBT tomorrow. Wish me luck. And best of luck to you.

R

ramada

So sorry you’ve had to deal with this debilitating illness most of your life.
it’s like I could’ve written this post myself! I suffer from severe panic and GAD as well. You mentioned the head rush..that just happened to me a week ago for the first time and I honestly didn’t know what it was. It was likeI could feel hot blood in my head, I felt like I was gonna pass out and I was driving with my daughter in my car.
Please know you’re not alone.

K

KittyMay

I completely understand what you are going through. I have severe panic attacks too. I get extremely dizzy, have vertigo and when it’s very severe I lose consciousness. CBT didn’t help me either. I’ve been doing therapy for nearly a year and I’ve learnt that my panic disorder is deep rooted from my childhood. It’s helped me to understand where this all came from and why. I am cautious about giving advice on what you should do because everyone is so different and is in different places and you might not be ready. But just know that you are incredibly strong to deal with this every day and to have not given up fighting. I wish you all the best and you aren’t alone.