• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

fussy eater running out of meal ideas

A

aisha23

I am a fussy eater running out of meal ideas
basically: what ever I try (in terms of meals) I either don't like (like I'll leave it), or it just doesn't satisfy me and I end up going back to the junkfood

this really worries me a lot, because much of my diet revolves around junk food- chocolate, crisps, cookies, etc.

I am finding that when I do eat meals (I eat things like burgers, toad in the hole, roast chicken, fish fingers), they are like has been meals. like at one time I did enjoy them, but now I don't and would rather eat the crisps/ chocolate.

and I'm worrying because their's just so much I'm not getting which I should, but don't really know what to do about it- A because of my picky eating nature, and B because my body just craves the junkfood.

who else (if anyone) is in this situation

pepecat

pepecat

What would you like to be able to eat that you can't / don't at the moment?

I

indigo6

What about really nice sandwiches, they are faster than waiting (can pick at things while somethings taking a while)
Whatever you like on it, sausages, bacon, flavoured cheeses, sneak some salad in, plenty of condiments for that high taste/sugar fix.
I sometimes have a sandwich week when Im sick of proper cooked food.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
I am a fussy eater running out of meal ideas
basically: what ever I try (in terms of meals) I either don't like (like I'll leave it), or it just doesn't satisfy me and I end up going back to the junkfood

this really worries me a lot, because much of my diet revolves around junk food- chocolate, crisps, cookies, etc.

I am finding that when I do eat meals (I eat things like burgers, toad in the hole, roast chicken, fish fingers), they are like has been meals. like at one time I did enjoy them, but now I don't and would rather eat the crisps/ chocolate.

and I'm worrying because their's just so much I'm not getting which I should, but don't really know what to do about it- A because of my picky eating nature, and B because my body just craves the junkfood.

who else (if anyone) is in this situation

Hello Aisha,

Sounds like you're a sugar junkie - just like me!

I crave sweet treats - and the more I eat and feed the addiction - the more I want.

Once you ease off the sugar, your taste buds will change and you'll start getting interested in other foods.

Whatever you currently have in terms of chocolate, cookies or fizzy drinks - half it. In two weeks time, half that amount again and so on until you wean yourself off.

I don't believe in just cutting these things out - you'll last a short time on will power and feel withdrawal and then you'll break and gorge yourself on everything you have denied yourself.

Get some tuppaware containers or freezer bags and put x amount of cookies in the bag for the day and half the amount of chocolate. Stick to it. Your appetite and eating habits will correct themselves within a month. xxx

A

aisha23

What would you like to be able to eat that you can't / don't at the moment?

I guess my main concern (no, it is my main concern), is not getting all the benifits in my diet I need.

for example: I won't touch veg, and know it's healthy for you because it provides stuff your body needs

it's a case of.. where else can I find it?

I don't think their is a particular food that I want to eat

I just want to make sure my diet is balanced and right now, I'm pretty sure it isn't

W

Worriedyin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I guess my main concern (no, it is my main concern), is not getting all the benifits in my diet I need.

for example: I won't touch veg, and know it's healthy for you because it provides stuff your body needs

it's a case of.. where else can I find it?

I don't think their is a particular food that I want to eat

I just want to make sure my diet is balanced and right now, I'm pretty sure it isn't
You definitely need veggies - they contain micronutrients that keep your body functioning. Have you had your bloods done to check folate levels etc? Do you take multivitamins?

Have you always been like this?

Do you have problems with food preparation or are you able to scratch cook most days?

From my understanding the science says you only have to try a food you 'don't like' a few times before you start to acquire a taste for it. Some flavours like rocket, the salad leaf, are more of an acquired taste than something bland and creamy like mozzarella.

I was an incredibly fussy eater growing up and now I love strong flavours and spicy food and things like capers and olives and beetroot and all sorts of things I was convinced were disgusting.

I now have problems with food prep and clearing up after meals so my diet has gone to shit tbh, but soup is easy and healthy and a really good way of getting you used to vegetable flavours.

Do you like salads?

Ramson mash

Ramson mash

I went through different phazes.

My stir fry phaze. Fun and easy to cook. Cheap vegetables and go easy on the soy.

My chilli phaze. Also fun to cook, can use a wide range of herbs and spices. Use tupperware and put in the fridge.

My salad phaze. Back when Harvesters was good they had a certain salad dressing which i have bought in bulk. Try croutons.

Inter Vivos

Inter Vivos

not a bad suggestion

is their food nice?
Some meals are nice (I'm somewhat picky, I've been through a difficult eating period). All the meals are nutritious. You'd have to sample them. I use shop bought ready meals too. Plus I make meals from shop bought supplies.

A favourite of mine is hot cooked pasta (Linguine or Spaghetti) tossed in knobs of butter. With a topping of grated Parmesan cheese.