• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Funny HOCD Story

N

NorasDad

A post here reminded me of the lengths I have gone to both to satisfy my OCD and to challenge it.

So at one time, years ago, I had HOCD. I got convinced I wasn't happy in my heterosexual relationship because I was actually a homosexual. Fortunately It didn't bother me too terribly because I didn't grow up in a community where homosexuality was taboo per se, but my fears had gotten the best of me.

But one day I decided to test myself.

My partner and I had a HYSTERICALLY funny gay friend and he was always super nice to me. He would invite us to do things with him, apart and together, and then I noticed he would invite me individually a lot. I'm a man, so I recognize what a man is after, gay or straight.

One day my partner joked that I should actually accept his invitation for dinner at his apartment, so I did. She thought nothing of it, but she didn't know that I had decided to go on a proper date with this guy. I wasn't bold, but I put energy into it. I tried to be extra charming, a good listener, and I drank plenty of wine.

Then he wanted to watch his favorite movie on the couch: "Moulan". I should explain - although in a way I just did - that he was a gay Asian guy. This was important to me, because he was a lot smaller than me. I would not have risked this venture with a huge bodybuilder of a fellow. I had another glass of wine, and sat down on the couch. Actually, I took the whole bottle over.

Finally came the moment of truth: the kiss. I had told myself that I would go this far if it came up. In a way, it was classic CBT therapy - confront the thing you're afraid of. I did it. I soon realized that the thing I was "afraid" of was just a sweet, small asian man who was exactly the funny, generous host he had always been. Kissing him was a little odd and somewhat unfamiliar, but not unpleasant in any way. It made me laugh, actually.

Now when he came back in the room having changed into something "more comfortable" I knew I had a problem, which will be very familiar to women reading this. It took me about 20 minutes, but I eventually talked my way out of the door without offending him and we parted on good terms.

HOCD?

Gone, never to return.

Thereafter I have been completely comfortable around gay people.

I remember him fondly because he helped me learn a lot both about gay people and myself.