• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

funeral tomorrow!!

tigerfish

tigerfish

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to cope with my emotions at a funeral? I am overwhelmed tonight and I need to hold it together for a friend tomorrow!! It's not about me tomorrow!! I am feeling so much guilt because I keep thinking about a close friend I lost a few years ago and I have never really gotten over that loss, but is it ok to be thinking about that more than this friend who is being buried tomorrow? I am so sorry, I am so scared about getting it wrong and making a fool of myself!! I am no good at this emotional stuff!!

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Grief affects us all in different ways.

I think it is understandable to have your close friend on your mind especially when you haven't really gotten over your loss.

I really hope you can keep yourself together enough tomorrow.

:hug1:

xxx

W

Waverunner

My trick is to not listen to anything said at the funeral. I let my mind disappear to other places (what I consider a safe place) or let the words all merge together so I don't actually hear specific words.

F

foundinoz

I am sorry for you the loss of both of your friends. Everyone deals with death differently.....some are more emotional than others. No one will know who you are thinking about and I wouldn't be able to forget about the prior friend that died either. In fact it's very common to think about all your loved ones that have died when you attend a funeral. It's also very normal to think about our own mortality and the afterlife at funerals. They can be very difficult to attend. Sending a hug your way.

tigerfish

tigerfish

I didn't feel anything!! I still feel nothing!! I think that this may show itself in the most random and awkward place and it will be very difficult to cope with!! At least if it came out at the funeral, it would have been appropriate? What is wrong with me? Why is nothing ever simple? Actually,i do feel something, angry and disappointed in myself!! For looking like a cold hearted so and so when people i know were responding so very appropriately!! I'm sorry for rambling, i guess what didn't come out today is still thundering around inside me!! Trust me to have yet another delayed reaction!!

W

Waverunner

I didn't feel anything!! I still feel nothing!! I think that this may show itself in the most random and awkward place and it will be very difficult to cope with!! At least if it came out at the funeral, it would have been appropriate? What is wrong with me? Why is nothing ever simple? Actually,i do feel something, angry and disappointed in myself!! For looking like a cold hearted so and so when people i know were responding so very appropriately!! I'm sorry for rambling, i guess what didn't come out today is still thundering around inside me!! Trust me to have yet another delayed reaction!!
Don't be so hard on yourself! Emotions are complicated, try and be kind to yourself!

F

foundinoz

From a video I watched today they said that antidepressants and effect all emotions. So, if you are on any antidepressants they can suppress different emotions and perhaps even increase emotions. Please don't feel badly about yourself. Everyone handles grief differently. You went to the funeral out of respect for the life of your friend and to say farewell. Perhaps you also celebrated the friendship you have. The important thing is that you attend the funeral. You are a good friend.