• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

fuddled and bemused

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i saw my cpn on tuesday do you know there is NOT ONE ZERO clinical phycologists in the whole of cornwall people are being put on a waiting list for cbt therapy and they havent go0t a SINGLE phycologist. PEOPLE IN CORNWALL ARE BEING LET DOWN! am i missing something here why dont they just hire somebody? ive written to my mp is it fair that if i lived in a different area i would have a better chance at recovery?:mad:

BillFish

BillFish

Same here, I have never heard cbt even mentioned, in a decade of severe illness.I think the funding for mental health is pretty low on local councils priorities.

SimonB

SimonB

it is, I asked for CBT last April and was told I probably wouldn't get it due to there being one psychologist in the area running CBT. My GP referred but I didn't hear a thing. Now I'm off sick, I'm sure it would have helped stem this off!

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
simon go back to your gp and tell them nothing has happened i am getting some KIND of talking therapy through my doctor because i said it has to be ongoing there realli is little point in having 12 sessions then told to sling your hook. they will really fight your corner so go back to them and say you never heard back from them about ..... i am mainly concerned about the other people on the list who dont even know there isnt any help available. also if you cantact MIND they can at least offer some councilling on therapy on a contributional based payment which is quite cheap. have you read a book called moving on? its the best book ive read about Schizophrenia and it tells you how to get all the help you need diddy

P

pinkmetalgirl

Definitely - knowing what your rights are seems really essential (as mental health support is so patchy up and down the country, and often people aren't offered the things that would actually help them outright).

NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) publish guidelines for the treatment of people diagnosed with schizophrenia and they say:

Offer cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to all people with schizophrenia. This can be started either during the acute phase2 or later, including in inpatient settings
You can have a look at the guidance here if you want to check it out - http://www.nice.org.uk/cg082

They suggest at least 16 sessions in their guidance (which can be helpful in learning the CBT skills - but I agree, more long term counselling/support is often needed too ... I'm getting long term therapy outside of the NHS as I felt really let down by the support they were able to offer me). There are a fair few charities that offer counselling (and some places offer low cost 1-2-1 therapy even if it's not free).

Good luck in getting the support you need

x PMG

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I was very lucky... I had CBT from a nurse therepist for about 8 months.... I then moved areas and am due to start some more soon.

CBT is very uselful .. its not for everyone but can work well.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi pinkmetalgirl you cant even go private in cornwall ive tried involves travelling to plymouth. thanks for the reply diddy:)