• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Frustrating!

T

TruthPhoenix

Does anyone else with PTSD experience frequent severe panic attacks that have a tendency to ruin things? I have panic attacks so severe that my speech and movement patterns are affected during the attacks and for about an hour afterwards. I can function very well during the times without a panic attack. Throughout my day, no one would suspect that there is any reason I couldn't work or go to the grocery store or take a walk to the park. But when a panic attack comes on, I end up curled into a ball in the closet screaming and crying while experiencing flashbacks. During the other times, I just find it all odd and frustrating! I'll find myself watching a favorite TV show and someone says the wrong thing, even if I've watched the show and heard it before, and boom: panic attack time! I get angry because I want to do things! I want to do things I really enjoy! But the stupid panic attacks ruin it! I have at least two of these debilitating attacks per day. I just want to say screw it sometimes! I just want to watch my favorite TV show without finding myself freaking out in the closet, you know? Would that be too much to ask???

S

SunnyDaze

Hi there. Panic attacks are miserable to experience.

Are you seeking help with it or taking medication?

Hugs

T

TruthPhoenix

Xanax is the go to, but it doesn’t hardly work. I’m in DBT classes and do talk therapy. They say they are going to do EMDR which should give a lot of relief and help. I am just confused as to why they don’t just start it now. They just keep saying “in the future.” I want to say “well I’m suffering now thank you very much!” Not much support for panic attacks has been currently available in other words.