• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Frustrated with Doc

R

RestlessAffect

I went back to my GP, and I told him I'm finding it the constant change in moods I'm having (which he still refuses to even acknowledge) to be torture. Last time, he prescribed antidepressants which I refused for certain reasons. But I didn't refuse *all* A.Ds though.

This time, he told me that I'm not listening, and there isn't much he can do if I don't cooperate. And then he told me that my friend (of whom he knows nothing about, other than she's bipolar) has been scaring me off medication. Which is completely untrue. And I think was unneccesary for him to say at all. I mean, I can and do think for myself. I asked for alternative A.Ds last time and he just sent me on my way with nothing. I asked again (many times) this time and *eventually* he gave in.

I was so relieved, and thought I was getting somewhere that I forgot to ask about the side effects. I looked them up when I got home only to find he'd prescribed antidepressants with the exact side effect I told him was unnacceptable. I was furious. *lol* Maybe I'm being a baby about it, but I feel tricked. I told him "no SSRIs" and technically, these aren't, but they do have the same side effects.

I don't want to take this (Trazodone) because I'm scared it's going to cause me to feel worse, particularly more suicidal than I have been in the recent past. He made me feel that I'm the one causing all the problems, and that I don't really want to be helped anyway. All I did was ask for alternatives.

The whole time felt like a struggle to be understood. And I have trouble talking to people as it is. He's made me feel worse about it.

I can't bear to see him again, he's going to be really annoyed. So I'm thinking of trying the other doctor at that practice, but I'm not sure it would even turn out any differently. Let alone if I'd even be able to talk properly.

My second post. My second rant. :rolleyes:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hi

Maybe going to see the other doctor would be a good idea if you don't feel happy with what your GP has suggested.

As far as I am aware, all anti-depressants have side effects, and one of those is an increase in suicidal thoughts, which is why you should be closely monitored at the beginning of treatment. I have taken trazodone in the past, and although for me personally it didn't help my depression, it did work well in helping me to sleep which in itself can have a positive effect on mood.

I hope you can get the help you want soon - take care.

Rollinat

R

RestlessAffect

Well, he said nothing about monitoring me in any way. :confused:

And it's sexual dysfunction as a side effect that I want to steer well clear of. I know it's not common, but I do know they don't all have that side effect. So, I can't avoid any likelyhood of an increase in suicidal thoughts, but I can avoid that.

Also, from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), but isn't there supposed to be a build-up with Trazodone? He just prescribed 50mg, three times a day. Is that normal? I get paranoid about this stuff.

And I probably will see the other doctor. But if that doesn't help then I don't know.

D

Devon

If it were me I would likely want to enter a formal complaint against that doctor.

dib4uk

dib4uk

RestlessAffect- I totally sympathise with your reluctant GP. I'm seriously thinking about changing doctors because they dont really help me... I'm worried incase mine just laugh me off.

All doctors seem to do is put ppl on anti depressants without thinking first, in my case the tablets was making me worse... very manic.

M

mad as a hatter

i,m the same can,t tk anti depressants they make me worse as well

M

mizunderstood

GP's have no idea when it comes to psychiatric illneses. I also think some pychiatrists are equally unhelpfull. I had a major psychotic episode in 2004 and had to be hospitalised in France. When I finally escaed the dark place and returned to the UK I received no aftercare what so ever. My psychiatrist just weighed me every few weeks, and asked me to tell him the good things and the bad things. Helpfull (not)Due to this I declined "help"and I have been seeing my GP on and off for 3 years when necessary, however she is not knowledgable enough about mental illness which obviously has an effect on me. She just assumes she knows what Im about.I almost gave up on the NHS all together until recently I signed up for CBT. This will be the first time in 5 years of living with psychosis that someone may actually listen and offer me some support/advice. Im sure the therapist will have a field day with me. 5 years of psychotic shit just for her.