• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Frustrated with CBT, any advice?

H

Herbarium

Hi,
I started some cognitive behavioral therapy because I know it’s meant to help but I’m particularly frustrated with it tonight. I find I can recognize a negative train of thought just fine- I’ve been dealing with them forever- but saying something truly positive once I identify them feels near impossible. I know when I have a thought like “I’m a piece of trash rn”, for example when I’m trying to study, I’m supposed to stop and think “I’m doing the best I can” but that just doesn’t feel true. I’m not doing the best I can because I KNOW I can do better. I know I can get better grades and I know I should be able to focus because I have in the past. I have this internalized idea that I should always be able to reach that high standard I set for myself. I can rationally recognize that I need to be kinder to myself but saying the words FEELS wrong.
I know it’s bad to just sit on the couch and berate myself for things I feel like I should be able to do but coming up with the right words to counter those thoughts is so hard for some reason. It feels like saying them is a lie and an excuse. I want to say “I’m better than this” but that feels problematic because it just points out how I’m not doing what I want/need to be doing.
So I was wondering if anyone who’s doing/has done CBT can relate or give any advice?
I’m just having an especially hard time tonight and I’d really appreciate any response.
Thanks,
Herbarium

S

Support4depression

Your aptitude and past experience show you that you can do better. And right now, you are managing depression AND your school work. You are doing well to be working to address your depression and still care about your school work. "I'm doing the best I can" means that you are taking a brave step through the cloud of depression to meet your goals despite the depression. Take little steps and then they will become bigger. It's like physical therapy after an injury. Good luck! You are not alone!

Sea_Green

Sea_Green

Sorry I can't help but I can definitely relate! I remember being told that it doesn't matter if you believe the positive things, just say them anyway and you will start to believe them. Unfortunately I've never been able to stick with it long enough to find out if that's true or not! Support4depression's advice sounds good though, gradually getting back to where you know you can be be rather than trying to jump there all at once.

H

Herbarium

Thank you guys! I feel better about it today, but some days are obviously harder than others. I’m new to CBT and I hope you’re right! Consistency seems to be key even if it feels unbelievable at times.