• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

From pillar to post. My experience of MH services

R

Richy G

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a man in my late 20s who lives in a town in the Midlands. I just wanted to share my story to see if anyone could relate.

I have been suffering from depression for a number of years and have also been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome since the age of 13.

A few years back I was referred to the local community mental health team. I told them that I did not think I was ready to attempt employment and I wanted to try and do some voluntary work, they agreed. And for a period of two years I was doing some woodworking and gardening as voluntary work and things were ok.

Unfortunately, one of my major problems is with not having consistant sleep patterns, poor sleep, and low motivation, making it very difficult to guarantee timekeeping and punctuallity, meaning that I frequently struggled to arrive on time, not by much, but usually by 5-20 minutes.

The people at my woodworking were generally quite relaxed and understanding about this. But in the summer of this year, my care co-ordinator decided to make a huge issue about it, and demanded that I achieved perfect punctuallity, I told them that I was unlikely to be able to achieve this, although I tried unsucessfully, it caused me a lot of stress, and my sleeping problem got worse.

Personally I suspect that she knew I couldn't achieve this, and was looking for an excuse to get rid of me (or perhaps I'm being paranoid).

Anyway in the summer of this year, having failed to achieve their demands. I was dropped from the service, and referred to the 'charity' Rethink. Who took over my case and tried to find me some part time courses and voluntary work. Which I have been doing.

This week however, I had a meeting with the Rethink person, who told me that from now on, due to a government innitiative, they could only deal with people who were actively seeking (non existant) employment. We both agreed that I was not ready for this, so I was discharged from their service. She seemed to be quite upset by this as it meant that the majority of her clients were being dropped.

Why a "charity" is slavishly following a government policy is beyond me. I was paying them money from a direct debit but I have cancelled this in disgust.

So now I am completely alone as regards help from metal health services.

It seems that the entire system is set up for one single purpose. Getting people of benefits and into non existant work. This appears to be the policy of this disgrace of a government, who have no understanding of the complexities of mental health issues.

As for many people this is completely innapropriate, as many people need years of help before they could even consider working, many vunerable people are being cut off.

I am sorry for my rant, but I needed to get this off my chest.

S

*Sapphire*

But in the summer of this year, my care co-ordinator decided to make a huge issue about it, and demanded that I achieved perfect punctuallity,

Anyway in the summer of this year, having failed to achieve their demands. I was dropped from the service
Well my hubby and mother inlaw are always late for work! Their companies have got used to it, they make the time up in the eve and work through lunch, it is no biggy. I have no idea why your co-ordinator was being so narrow minded? Was that the only reason she dropped your case? How petty.

This week however, I had a meeting with the Rethink person, who told me that from now on, due to a government innitiative, they could only deal with people who were actively seeking (non existant) employment. We both agreed that I was not ready for this, so I was discharged from their service. She seemed to be quite upset by this as it meant that the majority of her clients were being dropped.
I had no idea about this?! That is shocking, so everyone else is supposed to rot?

Rant away, it seems as if you have been dealt a bad hand by them.

Have you tried contacting Mind? You may have a case to appeal.

R

Richy G

Well my hubby and mother inlaw are always late for work! Their companies have got used to it, they make the time up in the eve and work through lunch, it is no biggy. I have no idea why your co-ordinator was being so narrow minded? Was that the only reason she dropped your case? How petty.
It pretty much was I'm afraid, and the fact that I missed some appointments. I kept trying to explain to her that I really struggled with these things, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. You would think that someone who worked for a mental health service would understand that someone with depression would have difficulty with this sort of thing and cut you some slack. But no, not this one.

I could not understand why she was making such a huge fuss about it. Nor could anyone else I mentioned it too. No-one at my woodworking place minded that I was often slightly late, and it caused no problems because everyone was on teabreak for half an hour after I was meant to arrive, so I didn't miss any work.

The only reason I can think of, (and perhaps I'm being cynical or paranoid here) is that she knew I couldn't achieve this and was looking for an excuse to drop me. Presumably to achieve some governmet targets or something.

I had no idea about this?! That is shocking, so everyone else is supposed to rot?

Rant away, it seems as if you have been dealt a bad hand by them.

Have you tried contacting Mind? You may have a case to appeal.
That's what she told me. Personally I am absolutely disgusted by this. She seemed to be as upset my this as me, as it meant that most of her clients were basically being thrown to the wind.

Last edited:
honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
You were probably on a discrete programme that was government funded. In these cases the government allways want something for gheur money, usually actively seeking or at least on a course enhancing employability skills. It's easy to become cynical!

emski

emski

That you were dropped from services for very minor unpunctuality is disgrageful. What about the Disability Discrimination Act? Are they not law bound to make reasonable adjustments for this, seeing as you have depression and aspergers syndrome? Does this not apply because it's a 'charity'/voluntary work? It should do if it is a government initiative! Furthermore the CMHT should uphold the Act!

I think you should complain, and mention the Disability Discrimination Act.

R

Richy G

Perhaps I should have done. Unfortunately this happened over six months ago, so it's probably too late to make a complaint now. And to be honest I was pretty glad to be shot of them for all the unnecesary stress they were causing me.

Everyone I've spoken to about this has agreed that she acted totally unreasonably.

I thought I would be ok as I had been reffered to Rethink who took over my case. But now that's gone belly up I'm not entirely sure where I go from here.

I'm ok for the time being as I'm doing a part time course. But this is due to finish within the next few weeks.

I don't particularly want to go back to the cmht given the way they treated me last time round, especially not if the same lady is running it.

J

jamesdean

I live in birmingham it wouldnt be "bsmhft" that you are under my experience of them is pretty dire they seem to prefer a person just to turn up once evry three months n say yeah I'm doing fine so that they can tick the box, they are a disgrace.