• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

From Patient to Employee back to Patient ...

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Getting a bit worried as I have my appointment with psych next week. I have been under his care previously for BPD but typically couldn't last the course (literally) of Mentalization.

Since I last saw him I had a temporary job working in the Trust Headquarters of the same hospital. I ended up working for the Chief Executive. Of course she had no idea that I had been a patient previously. She ended up sacking me as I couldn't hold down the job (same old story with every job I've had) although we remained friends afterwards.

Since I was sacked (again) in May from another job with a Council (where I had been told it was nigh on impossible to get sacked from) she provided me with a reference for the one job I applied for - didn't get it and spent nine days under the duvet after having gone through an interview.

Now I've totally sunk back under, I dared to contact her again, as I knew I had been referred back to her hospital. She was so supportive and lovely.

Still feel very worried about going back there next week as I was known by a lot of people throughout the hospital.

What do I say if people recognise me and say "hello"? I've gone over to the other side - now a patient?

All a bit awkward.

Any advice on how to handle the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Claire

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jamesdean

You should be respected by the trust and recieve treatment regardless of an previous employment. I hope that you get on ok regards JD

Q

quigon

You could just say "Yes. Life sucks at times."

M

mizunderstood

I used to work within the NHS and I find that they are one of the most open minded employers when it comes to disabilities or illness. A number of my collegues were under the hospital for a number of diff things inc Mental Health Issues. At the end of the day you won't see any of those people again so don't let it bother you. Its not like you chose to go is it? Don't be embarassed about getting some help. I bet half of your fromer collegues are on some sort of tablet. Once you get in there you will be ok. Joking, you could try and keep a low profile on your way in.lol. Or, You could pretend to be on business! Seriously though, I don't think you should worry. If anyone approaches you and asks questions just say its nothing, a small personal matter or something or say you are there to see someone else. Apart fro that I can't think of any other excuses. Hope this helps a wee bit. Good Luck and let us know what happens. :)

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Thanks everyone for your support. I did like the idea of low profile and had even thought of wearing a pretend moustache, beard and glasses. Although that may be even more freaky if I did see an old colleague - not only attending as a patient but also now dressing like a man! Hee, hee.

In a great mood at the moment as I have had so many great messages from the Forum today.

Thanks again everyone - if you can bear it then I will give you an update after I've been to the appointment.

Take care and keep safe
Claire x