• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

from one mental health issue to another will it ever end??

drymyeyes

drymyeyes

iv only just joined i hope im doing this right??
anyway i had OCD but for some reason it seemed to slowly get less and less worse after a while. i was having councilling at the time and my OCD was so bad i believed that if i looked at certain things twice someone i care about wether it be my mum or nan etc would die and i would have to blink an even amount of times before i went to sleep and take an even amount of steps before i got into bed, i would touch every light switch in my house before i went out and i would hover my entire room if i saw one spec of mud on the carpet.

i was 14 when i was told i had OCD and by that time i had been carying out these rituals for about a year thinking it was totally normal to let it run my life, the unfortunate thing is i may have got over OCD but i went on to suffer eating disorders and my self hatred seems to get worse and worse now i have manic depression and take tablets for it, everyday i find myself thinking i was born to have these conditions for ever and i think im in an endless circle spiralling downhill the worst part is the lonliness iv felt sinse i can rembember.

can anyone else relate to this? or have a similar story? just to help me not feel so alone :(
xx

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi drymyeyes and :welcome: to MHF we are here 24/7 :) You will find lots of help and support here, folk are really friendly :flowers:

D

Dollit

I think a lot of people here will tell you how they felt worse before they began to feel better. Unfortunately for manic depression that's the pattern before you get stabilised. I'm stable now but wasn't for a long time.

The lonliness is the sense of isolation that we all feel. We all feel, at one point or another, cut off from society, our families, our friends. It's something I still battle with but being here makes it easier.

When was your bipolar diagnosed? I can identify with the OCD to a point - I've been told that I'm "sub-OCD" which means that it could get worse but isn't bad enough for a diagnosis.

T

Twylight

Hi drymyeyes
I had Ocd at fourteen and I would walk to school and if I didn't touch a certain car on the way - some horrible thing might happen to my baby sister.
When i started working with electrics I started having paranoia and at the age of 27, after a combination of events i developed Paranoid Schizophrenia which I've now had for 21 years.
Living with a Mental disorder is not easy, but not impossible
My medication controls the Schizophrenia and the OCD is just a slight annoyance - usually its about checking and switching things off.
I have to take every day one at a time.

Twylight

drymyeyes

drymyeyes

i was told i first had depression when i was 12/13 but i went into councilling and it didnt get any worse really i just sort of went bit off the rails but i was told i had manic depression about 3 months ago and they gave me citalopram 20 mg but thats made me worse in a way because my tempers got bad and i have ben suicidal but these are side effects im told.
OCD was controlling my life at one point i couldnt really do anything without my head thinking something terrible would happen i still have little rituals i do now but they dont really affect me so much just things like cleaning and tidying up wich isnt always a bad thing lol
xx

Lara

Lara

Citalopram was the first medicationn they gave me when I was diagnosed with clinical depression before BPD, same dosage too. It made me so ill, to the point I fell off a chair in my kitchen which I was quite firmly planted on. I begged them to pput me on some thing else. it made me 100 time worse and the physical sypmtoms were amplified plus added too but the side effects.

didnt work for me but a really good friend of mine had a really bad episode at xmas and they put her on citalopram and it has done her the world of good and it was the first med they gave her. she's so lucky.

Jo1760

Jo1760

Citalopram was the first medicationn they gave me when I was diagnosed with clinical depression before BPD, same dosage too. It made me so ill, to the point I fell off a chair in my kitchen which I was quite firmly planted on. I begged them to pput me on some thing else. it made me 100 time worse and the physical sypmtoms were amplified plus added too but the side effects.

didnt work for me but a really good friend of mine had a really bad episode at xmas and they put her on citalopram and it has done her the world of good and it was the first med they gave her. she's so lucky.
I was prescribed citalopram and it was terrible. i was ill for the entire course, my anxiety and OCD became so extreme that I didn't want to leave the house and mentally I went down hill at a fast rate. I didn't realise how bad it had become until others around me started to notice. Thankfully my doctor has been really good and as soon as she saw me again my medication was swapped and although i still feel incredibly depressed the side effects are not the same. I think having a supportive doctor is very helpful.