• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

From Leeds with new diagnosis of BPD

S

smithetti

Hi, Im from Leeds and have just been diagnosed with BPD im looking for anyone in Leeds who can advise on local support groups/help etc? Im due to start a Touchstone course this week.....Im really scared about this x

Raggles

Raggles

I've just moved to Leeds and am due to start a DBT group at Touchstone in March! I don't know anyone in Leeds and I'm struggling to find the right support too..

amazeyourselfsports

amazeyourselfsports

hiya,

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago, with BPD, yes very scary - its not going to go away, it can only be managed...

there is hope for recovery... Dont know what that will be, so keeping an open mind

speckles

speckles

I am not in Leeds but was concerned about your post, BPD can be more than just managed, it doesn't have to be life sentence with the right help. I know many people who were given that diagnosis and have gone on to live very normal, enjoyable lives, of course they have faced difficulties but everyone does. The thinking patterns can be altered and the interpersonal relationship difficulties can be changed. It is hard work and I am not saying all are able but it is certainly possible.

L

lucykate

Hi everybody. Never posted online before. Am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I do have BPD, that my behaviours are completely unhelpful, and that at 26 I still feel like I am the frustrating blank piece of paper I did at 14. I am seeing a psychotherapist and find the sessions terrifying. I worry that he is allowing me to blame my parents for a lot of the reason I feel worthless when it really is down to my shitty actions. I am so ashamed of my self destructive behaviours - the desperation with which I cling to my partner when he asks for some space. I live in Leeds. Not a single one of my friends would guess that the confident outgoing girl who seems to have it all feels so lost. I feel like I am an actor in my life, and I want to feel real. If anyone in Leeds with BPD ever feels like an email conversation, perhaps leading to a coffee I would like that. I want to stop being who I am pretending to be and work out who I really am. And get better. I don't know much about BPD yet, but I know that spending every day in this emotionally heightened state and perceiving everything as rejection and proof of being a bad person is EXHAUSTING. I hope other sufferers, like me, can begin to open up to the fact that maybe we are not as alone as this silly brain thingy persuades us we really are.

With love

Lucy

Dita85

Dita85

Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum :)

As you can see I am in Sheffield not Leeds but you are welcome to PM me for a chat. We also have a friendly BPD forum, where you can talk to people from all over the UK (and further afield) who will have had the same experiences.

I can relate to what you have written about the therapy sessions, I am having a few sessions with a psychologist and we are looking at my childhood and I feel as if I am betraying my parents a little. They are good people who made mistakes and I feel as if blaming them is counterproductive. It's OK to tell your therapist that you are feeling that way, I'm sure other people will have felt like that too.

BPD is exhausting, but it sounds as if you are doing everything you can to get better.

C

countingcrow

hi, i realise this is an old thread but hopefully someone might pick up on it. i'm in leeds & was diagnosed with bdp a couple of weeks ago after 5 months of severe depression and feeling like i was losing my mind. prior to the diagnosis i was (& am) in talking therapy for the depression / self harm issues. which has been quite useful, but isn't addressing the bpd. anyway i've been told by the community mental health team that basically they're casting me adrift & seeing if i sink or swim. i don't even know if i want to swim. although a part of me must otherwise i wouldn't be on here. if anyone can direct me to any local support groups or give me any advice where i can go for help / support it would be greatly appreciated. i'm a bit lost, confused, bewildered, annoyed, miserable blah blah blah!

H

holliec24

COnscious I'm a few years too late - but I'm local and also diagnosed with BPD recently if you want to chat?

H

holliec24

Conscious I'm a few years too late - but I'm local, a similar age and also diagnosed with BPD recently if you want to chat?

S

Sorchia

Hi everybody. Never posted online before. Am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I do have BPD, that my behaviours are completely unhelpful, and that at 26 I still feel like I am the frustrating blank piece of paper I did at 14. I am seeing a psychotherapist and find the sessions terrifying. I worry that he is allowing me to blame my parents for a lot of the reason I feel worthless when it really is down to my shitty actions. I am so ashamed of my self destructive behaviours - the desperation with which I cling to my partner when he asks for some space. I live in Leeds. Not a single one of my friends would guess that the confident outgoing girl who seems to have it all feels so lost. I feel like I am an actor in my life, and I want to feel real. If anyone in Leeds with BPD ever feels like an email conversation, perhaps leading to a coffee I would like that. I want to stop being who I am pretending to be and work out who I really am. And get better. I don't know much about BPD yet, but I know that spending every day in this emotionally heightened state and perceiving everything as rejection and proof of being a bad person is EXHAUSTING. I hope other sufferers, like me, can begin to open up to the fact that maybe we are not as alone as this silly brain thingy persuades us we really are.

With love

Lucy
Hi Lucy
You are so hard on yourself, my heart goes out to you. I think my son has BPD and would like him to get a diagnosis - how did you get yours? I try to help him but it’s hard as he self medicates with alcohol and ketamine and is very up and down.
I am sure that you are NOT a band person and have many good qualities, try to be kind to you self. I live near Leeds and would be happy to email to chat and support one another? Xx

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hi Lucy
You are so hard on yourself, my heart goes out to you. I think my son has BPD and would like him to get a diagnosis - how did you get yours? I try to help him but it’s hard as he self medicates with alcohol and ketamine and is very up and down.
I am sure that you are NOT a band person and have many good qualities, try to be kind to you self. I live near Leeds and would be happy to email to chat and support one another? Xx
Hello the post you quoted is from 2013. You may get more response if you create a new thread. Welcome to the forum.