• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Frightened and due to go back to work

RainbowChild

RainbowChild

Hi

I have BP and have been off work since a major family event triggered a major depressive episode at the end of July. I work teaching hard to engage 14-19 year olds. I need to get back to work as I am now on half pay and am struggling financially but my problem is I am now having mixed episodes and after a large overdose of my medication just over 2 weeks ago I am still in this mixed state, and feeling emotional and tearful one minute and making jokes the next.

Doctor wanted to sign me off for another spell and I managed to negotiate an appointment for this friday to review things with the idea that I will be fine and will be able to return next Monday.

Now I am in this pickle and don't know if I should just shut up and put up, tell the doc I'm fine but run the risk of not lasting on my return or am I just being stupid. I am scared I will be irritable, anxious, the panic attacks will return I still constantly feel like I could take another overdose all the time I havetaken 4 or 5 in the lat 4 months and I don't hear voices but catch things out of the corner of my eye that aren't there.

Sorry for going on but I don't know what to do.......:confused:

M

mad as a hatter

i know it must be hard with only bein on half pay but the way i c it ur health comes before ne thing and the fact u have took a few overdoses sugests things r still not right for u

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi, I'm in a similar position having been away from my teaching job for 3 months now, not got to the half pay bit yet but I'm due to go back after Christmas. A friend of mine who had also been in the same position advised me not to go back before fully fit, as he had and had great problems as a result.

When you are fit, maybe you could negotiate a staged return to work? I plan to go right back to observing again with a gradual return to teaching, if I can cope with it.

RainbowChild

RainbowChild

Thanks for your replies, work have said that I can have a staged return. Last night I got myself into a real twist and sometimes I think others think I am making how I feel up.

RainbowChild

RainbowChild

GP appointment in the morning..gonna ask him to sign me back onto work and hopefullyu start back on Monday parttime at first..wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!(y)