• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Friendships lost, friendship ever again?

N

Nanook2020

Is there something wrong with me that after I have been betrayed once, twice and possibly a third to cut a person out of my life completely? I have done this with a tip I was best friends with from grade 1 and the last straw was when she lied to me repeatedly about coming to my daughters wedding. She text me at 9:00am the morning of and says she hurt her back a couple of days ago and can't ride in the car for an hour. I'm 45 long way from grade 1 but still playing high school games.
I had a brother that abused me when I was young. He's older than me but has been a constant screw up his entire life and I've ended up taking care of him, money, place to live, hide, place to get clean. Then he got all righteous and telling me how to raise my daughter so I kicked him out of my house, of course lots more drama going on.
I came clean to my parents about what happened when I was younger, dads kinda like don't think about it it didn't happen and when my mom was alive and I refused to go anywhere he was she would say, why are you doing this to me? Dad respects my wishes and will not have us at the same family functions 💗 I tell people I am an only child, no siblings and if he were to die tomorrow I wouldn't go to the funeral.
I can just drop people like changing socks. I don't let people in to make friends because I don't trust a lot of people and I'll drop them like no problem if there is betrayal.

B

BoringBoris

Yikes! I suspect the problem with your brother and your parents is WAY more common that anyone knows. (I’ve been there), to avoid accepting this thing happened YOU get treated like YOU caused the problem and ostracized.
I’ve read that most cases of sexual abuse are by a family member and probably don’t get reported to protect family unity.
I recommend talking to a therapist.

...as for cutting people out of your life, there are times to do that, but, recognize that everyone will let you down (and you will them too). Are you bipolar? Are you worried it’s influenced by that?

N

Nanook2020

When my mom died not one of my friends that were supposed to be my best friends since college 20 years never called or came over. At that time I had face book I received messages from people from my home town how sorry they were blah blah blah. When my mom's service came my only friend that showed up was the one that lied to me recently and repeatedly. I no longer have face book or social media of any kind. I can't handle all the same BS from the people I went to school with. I come from a small town and it was horrible growing up there. I'm sure there was smoke coming from my tires when I left that nasty little place.
It's betrayal and lies everywhere I look.
Yes, I am bi-polar and I take my meds regularly. I have PTSD and other diagnosis. Sometimes that's all I feel like, bi-polar, not me a person.
I've always had a problem trusting people but I wonder why is it okay for me to cut people out and look at it as if they are dead or didn't exist at all. Even if I were to pass one of these people in the street or store I can look right past them like they aren't there or a stranger with no acknowledgement at all.