• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Friendship anxiety

C

CharmingJunkie

I've posted a couple of times before about my best friends getting closer to another couple and then going away together. She knows I'm anxious about it and has told me that no one will ever come between us but I'm struggling o believe that. They're going away with them in work upps of days and the closer it gets the more anxious I'm starting to feel.
Of course I want them to have a nice time but I'm really worried. Whenever we've been away together (and we are again in the summer) it has always brought us closer together and I'm worried that it's going to bring them closer together as well because they're experiencing new things together.
I know I'm going to really miss her, we never go that long without seeing or speaking to each other but we're not really the type to get all soppy with each other especially her towards me.
I'm worried about when they get back and im going to feel really awkward because I feel like them talking and telling me about how nice of a time they had is going to make me feel worse but it would be rude of me not to ask. Also I know there's going to be pictures pn Facebook and I just don't know how I'm goin to be able to deal with that. I know it sounds silly but I'm struggling already so I'm worried about what im going to be like when they're away and when they come back.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Sorry to hear that you're still feeling so anxious about your friend and her other friend. I responded to one of your previous threads about the same thing and can only reiterate what I said then.

I really don't know what your friend can do to reassure you any more than she already has. Perhaps you just need to prepare yourself for their return? You know how hard it's going to be for you so maybe try to come up with some coping strategies, to help get you through, whilst your friend tells you about her time away.

It might be a good idea to avoid Facebook for a while too. It sounds as though facing it might be too stressful. Perhaps think about taking up a new hobby or interest to distract yourself.

I hope that you find some way to ease your anxiety over this.

Take care.

Q

quietsecret

I'm going through the exact se thing too. My best friends will be going away on holiday with one other friend they have in common soon and it makes me anxious too. I would just like to say trust your friend :) you seem close and it was very sweet of her to reassure you like that and says volumes that she treasures your friendship. Perhaps you could also do something while she is gone? That way when she gets back you have something to tell her too and it would keep your mind from worrying unnecessarily ;) you could also plan something special to do together when she gets back :)

C

cally75

I'm going through the exact se thing too. My best friends will be going away on holiday with one other friend they have in common soon and it makes me anxious too. I would just like to say trust your friend :) you seem close and it was very sweet of her to reassure you like that and says volumes that she treasures your friendship. Perhaps you could also do something while she is gone? That way when she gets back you have something to tell her too and it would keep your mind from worrying unnecessarily ;) you could also plan something special to do together when she gets back :)
I wouldn't worry. They say boyfriends/girlfriends come & go but best friends there for life. I've friends I've had since nursery school-christ 35 yr now!! Did u speak 2 your friend about your worries??

C

cally75

I wouldn't worry. They say boyfriends/girlfriends come & go but best friends there for life. I've friends I've had since nursery school-christ 35 yr now!! Did u speak 2 your friend about your worries??

C

CharmingJunkie

Thank yu for getting back to me, I'm sorry that you're going through the same thing but it does make me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one going through it.
I think it's a good idea to try and keep ourselves busy when they're away.
I just know when they get back I'm going to be really anxious listening to them talk about it and seeing pictures about it. I think we both need to trust that they wouldn't do anything to purposely hurt us and that it's something that were going to have to deal with. It might even bring us closer together?
If you ever need to talk, I'm more than happy to listen and try and help.
I hope everything goes okay for you !

Q

quietsecret

I didn't.. The truth is they are my best friends but I'm probably only their good friend? I moved around a lot as a kid and it's hard to be the new one in school plus I'm really shy at first and found it hard to keep in touch mainly because of depression which just made me always retreat into my shell and being in different countries makes it easy to feign happiness/normalcy in emails/texts. They went to school together since they were 8 so I don't them to feel weirded out with my feelings of jealously. I'll just do my best to create my own memories with them and that will sustain me when I'm sad :)

Q

quietsecret

Thank yu for getting back to me, I'm sorry that you're going through the same thing but it does make me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one going through it.
I think it's a good idea to try and keep ourselves busy when they're away.
I just know when they get back I'm going to be really anxious listening to them talk about it and seeing pictures about it. I think we both need to trust that they wouldn't do anything to purposely hurt us and that it's something that were going to have to deal with. It might even bring us closer together?
If you ever need to talk, I'm more than happy to listen and try and help.
I hope everything goes okay for you !
I feel okay about it today for some reason but thank you for the very lovely offer! If you need to talk I'm always willing to listen too. I understand how hard it is to separate rational thoughts from anxiety provoking feelings but I think we both need to have better confidence in ourselves as a friend. I'm going to go puzzle hunting so I have something to occupy my mind preferably something with a thousand pieces :rofl2: I hope your day is going well :hug::hug1: