• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Friends are beginning to drink

N

Neevee

We are all 21 or about to be and just about all of my friends who didn't drink before are now starting to. I am horribly uncomfortable with it. It makes me feel out of place, and gives me anxiety. I don't want to be surrounded by anyone drinking alcohol. So just about everything they wanna do now involves alcohol. They aren't drunks(most of them) some of them are, but either way. Any alcohol upsets me. We were gonna go away on a trip and then they asked about bringing along the biggest drinker who always peer pressures everyone into drinking. At least 4 of them said they were going to(context, we never have drank on these trips before) and I said I wont go. They have known my stance for years. I respectfully said I wont be going and I hope they have fun. Maybe I'll go next time. I'm just beginning to feel more secluded. I'm okay with who I am. I don't want to learn to become comfortable with alcohol because that's not for me. It's for others. I rather be with people like me. Sadly, I don't know a single person. So I'm struggling with that as an addition to the rest of a shit show in my life rn.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi Neevee, you should never feel pressured to do anything you don't want to. If you feel uncomfortable with your friends being drunk you should tell them. Ask them if you can do something that doesn't involve drinking sometimes. If they are true friends they will understand and respect your position. Many people go through a phase where they party a lot when they are at your age but that is no excuse to trying to pressure others to join them.