• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

friend thinks I made up that I'm bipolar

sarahcherry

sarahcherry

I got diagnosed last year and have been living with my friend for the past 6 months. obviously I told her about my illness and she has been my friend for five years. I found out a few days ago that she told another friend of ours that she thinks I made up the fact that I'm bipolar in order to get sympathy of people! I can't beleive she thinks I have made the whole thing up. I go see my psychiatrist every thursday, does she think I purposley left the house for a few hours every week to make this up? And when I started my medication I could harldy eat for a week and was vomiting, does she think I just didn't eat on purpose and pretended I was on medication? I'm so angry with this that I'm moving out on saturday. what do you think about this?

S

skyblue

I got diagnosed last year and have been living with my friend for the past 6 months. obviously I told her about my illness and she has been my friend for five years. I found out a few days ago that she told another friend of ours that she thinks I made up the fact that I'm bipolar in order to get sympathy of people! I can't beleive she thinks I have made the whole thing up. I go see my psychiatrist every thursday, does she think I purposley left the house for a few hours every week to make this up? And when I started my medication I could harldy eat for a week and was vomiting, does she think I just didn't eat on purpose and pretended I was on medication? I'm so angry with this that I'm moving out on saturday. what do you think about this?
I had the same problem with a couple of my so called friends, despite 1 of them visiting me when I was hospitalised for 4 months because of it. Why on earth would I want to be in hospital when I have a young family at home that need me. Some people can be so cruel, I have no idea why they do it. The two friends are twin sisters and I'm only in touch with 1 of them now, I only see her about 3 times a year, we're not so close anymore. I find it hard to trust her.

Your friend is also being cruel and there's absolutely no need for it. I don't blame you for wanting to move out.

Try and surround yourself with people that care, you deserve better than this.

Look after yourself :flowers:

sarahcherry

sarahcherry

Thanks I'm glad to hear someone understands and agrees with me. My other friends have been saying 'oh you shouldn't jepordise your friendship because she made a few remarks about you', to me your friend thinking that you made up an illness and lied about it for a year is pretty much a reason to not speak anymore! I think its just becuase its a mental illness. If i had cancer and she said to someone she thinks I'm making it up there would be uproar and everyone would think shes a disgusting person. oh well such is life!:)

dib4uk

dib4uk

Your friend just sounds like shes just ignorent of the fact of what Bipola is- maybe she needs some form of education and then she might change her mind.

why would you be seing a psych otherwise if youre making it all up? for fun?

I see a psych not because i want to but because i have to, if that makes sense at alll.

Regarding friends even the most understanding ones dont really understand what its like to be you, they can understand so far especially if they've lived through it themselves, but they cant know totally because they are not you.... hope that actuarly makes any sense.

T

TOONAFISH

omg, what a terrible thing to say. and for someone to say that you dont jepordise a friendship over a few 'remarks' . they are hardly remarks are they, they are basically saying you dont have bipolar. im fizzing on your behalf.

i wouldnt stay, you need people around you who will support you. everyone does not just people with mental illness.

think you are doing the righrt thing sxxx

sarahcherry

sarahcherry

thanks for the support! i asked this question on a general forum and every person disagreed with me saying I was over reacting and I was a drama queen! Only other people that have a mental ilness seem to understand

:grouphug: