• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Friend/people obsession

M

macca78

Hiya all

Does anyone else have a problem with becoming 'fixated' with certain people/friends to the point where you feel you have to put your life on hold until you get to see them again and you want to be in their company all the time? But also get para that you're such a worthless loser anyway why would they want to bother being friends at all?! Its debillitating and something I've been experiencing for about 4 years now!

A

AussieGirl

yes

its a terrible pain

youre not alone i get this very much

W

warriorprincess

yes that blimmin happens to me too. and even to the point where i start taking on parts of that person's personality - i feel a lot like a cake baked with all the people in my life i have ever met sometimes. for example, my whole accent changed when i fell in love with a kiwi (i'm british) but i still have that twang now 4 years after last seeing him when i say certain words.
I think also that this is normal part of infatuation with anyone but maybe us lot are more predisposed to feeling like this on a more extreme level - i.e longer and more intense than most would care to describe it x

M

maudikie

maudikie.

Come on girls. Get a new absorbing interest, then you won't have time for your obsession. Make some new friends, get out and about a bit. When you get a bit older you will forget about all this and be happier.:)

W

warriorprincess

yeh that's true but i do have other interests too just anything i do has to be with passion... i'm defo better than i was but i do think it's the obsessive side creeping in as it does with most everything else, so it's only normal to feel this way about certain special people. i even obsess over random people who i just think have 'something' about them. This has even led me to question my sexuality as sometimes it's been women, but no i'm definitely all about man.

M

macca78

I do have other interests but this is quite consuming and overpowering all the same. Am even thinking about going to a samurai sword fighting class tonight! Anyway, was just after seeing if anyone else had experienced something similar so thanks for the responses. Warriorprincess you say it spot on. Part of my new fixation with an old friend is around her life, she seems to 'have it all.' But does she? Lovely hubby, cute as hell kids, amazing house, dog, hols everywhere, loads of mates...so whenever I'm there I get a 'Sliding Doors' moment (am single and very much live a Bridget Jones lifestyle lol). I yearn to be a part of her life but wonder how I can 'validate' myself and feel like I'm worth being in someone's life if that makes sense.

A

AussieGirl

Come on girls. Get a new absorbing interest, then you won't have time for your obsession. Make some new friends, get out and about a bit. When you get a bit older you will forget about all this and be happier.:)
I kind of resent that assumption that we don't have other interests...No matter how many interests you have, if you have obsessive tendencies it is a struggle.

D

Deremna

I kind of resent that assumption that we don't have other interests...No matter how many interests you have, if you have obsessive tendencies it is a struggle.
Hence why it's an obsession and not a passing interest.

B

bluebell24

I have had the same. Not good ... when combined with illness it ruined a friendship. Since being on meds I've not experienced it but don't know if that's more down to keeping the world at arm's length!

Kos

Kos

Don't get it so much with females, but defo males, I become infatuated with them, literally think I'm in love with them and become so obsessed with them they are all I can think of. I constantly want to be in contact with them etc..... This has caused some guys to think I'm a nutcase stalker!!!!

A

Affective

Don't get it so much with females, but defo males, I become infatuated with them, literally think I'm in love with them and become so obsessed with them they are all I can think of. I constantly want to be in contact with them etc..... This has caused some guys to think I'm a nutcase stalker!!!!
I have a similar problem. When I am attracted to someone, I usually think they love me.