Friend is using my mental illness to convert me to Christianity

H

HoggiePoggie

Hi everyone.
My friend has recently gone to Leeds as part of his Mormon mission and has recently started messaging me about how I should turn to his religion.
Now, he initially started this conversation after asking about my mental health as he is fully aware of it. He was saying how God would heal me and that religion would provide a major resource for recovery.
However, I do feel as if this isn't true, firstly, why would God suddenly start helping me now rather than before when I prayed for him to help.
Since my mental health started to decline around 3 years ago I've lost faith. I wasnt devoutly Christian, I merely believed in his existence and didn't attend church or anything like that. I strongly doubt the existence of God now and have no interest in the Christian faith anymore.

I don't know whether to just humour my friend or just tell him straight up that I don't like how he's using my illness against me and that I'm not interested in becoming Christian.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
If you have no interest in the Christian faith let him know.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

ah religion what they fail to mention is that it helps if you have a personal relationship with God. sounds very twee i know and i dont know how else best to put it.

and in the past folk used to try to do this very same thing but i knew it wasnt right for me -back then anyway.

jump forward a decade and more and i used to attend church most weeks but felt so empty and agitated it took me a while to realise that actually the Holy Spirit was not there i know sounds so very weird. anyway.. and yet at another church (c of e) i find it helpful. everyone talks to each other and they all really care about each other in as much as folk are able to do in an English culture lol!

no best tell your friend otherwise you are sending out mixed messages and you cant blame him for trying!

and anyway mormon religion is considered to be a cult- oh sure they say they are christian but there is a lot of unbiblical and weird belief system.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

For most people they find through Psychiatry that Atheism just is an intellectual Luxury they cannot afford.

Paradoxically having a belief in the afterlife makes you less, and not more likely to do something silly to yourself.

Kerome

Kerome

If you have no interest in the Christian faith let him know.
I think that’s right, if you’re not interested in the Christian religion then you should tell him that. It’s a very personal thing, but I’ve found that almost all religions can have a beneficial effect if they bring you change and faith and growth. For me Buddhism has been very good, I can imagine that Christianity can help people too, but I think you have to find the faith, not have it thrust upon you.

P

Petester

I agree.

You have to have faith in God for Him to really be part of your life,you gotta let Him in.

If you don't want to it's just a waste of time.

K

Kaiseradler

Religion does kind of work for some people as a way to have a support system and a more positive outlook on life, albeit I personally believe that the ideal for humanity should to achieve that without falling into pointless dogma or irrational beliefs. In any case, as with a placebo, religion can only possibly have that effect if you actually believe in it, which doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Respectfully tell your friend that while you appreciate (what I assume are) his good intentions, that his beliefs are not the same as yours and that a real friend will always understand and respect that.

schizolanza

schizolanza

The only Mormons I've met haven't started shaving yet and try and preach to me.pisses me off. When they come round with their backpacks I always tell them that I'm out of beer but offer to make them a coffee. Works a treat.
Then they reach into their backpacks and guzzle on coke!

schizolanza

schizolanza

You don't have to respect his beliefs. So long as you respect his right to believe what he believes. My 2p worth.
Personally I'm sticking with Jesus. But if people want to believe in the easter bunny that's up to them.

H

HoggiePoggie

The point is though that I used to believe in God and did follow Christianity bar going to Church. I abandoned the faith as God had abandoned me.
If I had faith back then, what would be the point in finding it again when it never did any good in the first place?

Kerome

Kerome

Religion does kind of work for some people as a way to have a support system and a more positive outlook on life, albeit I personally believe that the ideal for humanity should to achieve that without falling into pointless dogma or irrational beliefs.
There you have a good point... I’m certainly not much in favour of irrational beliefs or pointless dogma. That’s why I always loved the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it’s such a demonstration of the absurd in religion. Why should I believe in a Creator as an Old Man in the sky, when there is just as little proof of that as of a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

But not all religions are as irrational as Christianity, Judaism and Islam. I’ve found Buddhism, with its attitude of ehi passiko, or ‘see for yourself’, to be much more logical and at least as heartfelt.

H

HoggiePoggie

There you have a good point... I’m certainly not much in favour of irrational beliefs or pointless dogma. That’s why I always loved the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it’s such a demonstration of the absurd in religion. Why should I believe in a Creator as an Old Man in the sky, when there is just as little proof of that as of a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

But not all religions are as irrational as Christianity, Judaism and Islam. I’ve found Buddhism, with its attitude of ehi passiko, or ‘see for yourself’, to be much more logical and at least as heartfelt.
I must admit Buddhism would be the one religion I would go to if I were to ever become religious, I haven't looked into it much but the way of life certainly seems to offer more peace and tranquility.

Although not strictly a religion I live by the pessimistic lifestyle of Lovecraft, where nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things. I guess it's because I merely believe we exist to breed and keep the cycle of nature going, father than humanity being a special case of existence.

Last edited:
schizolanza

schizolanza

I believe that Jesus is God. He is also completely human. What he did was suffer infinitely more than you or I could possibly imagine. He is real. There are so many people who try to put Him in a box and sell their particular brand of bollocks to you.Keep seeking him.If you knock on the door and it doesn't open then knock louder. Keep on going.You can't do anything for him except love others. Its all about you and him. Don't listen to me or anyone else.its all about you and him.He won't force himself on you.So don't let anyone person or institution try and do that.keep it real. (Reply to post#10)

Last edited:
H

haila nguyen

Well if that is the way you feel about it then tell him how you feel. I converted to Christianity because i knew that is what God called me to. it was important for me to know that God was working through my life. I felt that it was by far one of the best decisions I made in my life, but don't allow people to disrespect you if that is how you truly feel.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

ha i have a freind who seemed to be on a mission to convert me to newage mumbo jumbo sigh i keep saying that i did all that stuff and it unhelpful at best and damaging at worst. they know that i am a Christian and seemed set on turning me away anyway they got so carried away last week in their zeal to delete Jesus so this week they apologiised for bieng so insensitive.

i just let them rant cos i thought they are so set on their dismissive stance that really there was no point in having a rational converatiion.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I have had experience with Mormons. In fact I have a copy of the book of Mormon. The missionaries that gave it to me told me that God would cure me (that seems to be a common theme in their faith) they gave me some passages to read. Instead I started in the beginning of the book. No disrespect to any Mormon persons here but I just couldn't get past that the book was written in the 1800s by Joseph Smith based on translations he made from Golden plates that Angels lead him to and that only he could read them OR even see them. Just couldn't believe in it.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Best keep to the bible NCY. The mormons are considered to be a cult and they seem to have a keen interest in angels which the bible doesn’t other than a couple of main angels and they were only messengers. People make them out to be far more than this. And that is a slippery road. If its not about Jesus then it not really a bible/religion it wanders towards newage