• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Friend is manic - please help :(

D

Dbconcerned

So yesterday a friend of mine asked if she could come and visit, she arrived with all her belongings and told me she moved out of her flat last week, has been staying with a stranger since, lost her job about a month back and has fallen out with her parents.

She is 28, and has suffered depression as long as I've known her and has always been very open about how she's feeling, she always calls when she has a bad day, she knows when to get a counseling session, she had been doing great lately. I visited her 3 weeks ago and she seemed to be doing so well.

Now she is not so good, I've never seen her like this - I think she's having a manic episode? (Don't know if its right terminology - apologies if not). She seems elated about everything, she's back drinking (hadn't drank in over a year), she's talking about sex a lot - a topic she has never discussed in the past. She is convinced a tv personality is sending her signals - he retweeted something she wrote and she told me he's leaving his wife and kids for her - they've never met or spoken to each other, I believe she frequently tweets him but he doesn't reply, she says because of his wife but that when's he's interviewing on tv that hes talking directly to her.

I don't know what to do. I don't know her parents, unless I steal her phone and get their number. I'd feel like I would be betraying her? I don't want her to feel she can't trust me as its clear she has no where else to go. She has no money as she gambled it away which is so out if character. She has brushed me off when I suggested seeing a doctor as she has never been happier in her whole life. My friend needs help, I don't know what to do. This is something I've never seen or experienced before - please advise me? She won't listen, im afriad if I push her to go to docs that she may leave and where would she go? Do I steal her phone to call her parents who she says don't want her home? I feel like I've betrayed her by even writing this post.

Any help/advice guys will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Unique1

Unique1

Hi Dbconcerned

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear your dilemma over your friends struggles.
This is tricky. I understand you thinking about loyalties to your friend, it's also difficult if you don't know any of her family, to maybe have a word with. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, I guess if I was concerned for her safety or the safety of others, I would telephone the local community mental health team for advice.

Or maybe call for some advice from the MIND organisation. I've added the link to their site for you.

Home | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

I wish you well.
Best wishes
Unique1 x