• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Friend has admitted to me that she purges after eating any food

L

LisaM1982

One of my good friends who is nearly 30 told me earlier today that she purges even if she just eats a little bit of food. She doesn't binge eat so it's not bulimia. Is it a sign of anorexia? She's very slim.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It sounds like your friend has Purging Disorder which, like Bulimia or Anorexia, is an eating disorder. I would strongly encourage her to seek medical help.

P

Purpleplum

It's a sign of bulimia. Your friend needs help right away. Her health-- possibly her life -- is at stake.

L

LisaM1982

It's a sign of bulimia. Your friend needs help right away. Her health-- possibly her life -- is at stake.
I’ve researched it and it’s only associated with bulimia when someone does it after binge eating. She doesn’t binge eat.

K

katwomyn3

Regardless, if she fits the definition of bingeing and purging, your friend needs help. Anorexics also engage in purging. And bulimics engage in fasting. Its not a cookie cutter description. Your friend needs to see a health professional, and if she can't because of COVID, she needs to talk to someone about the issues underlying her eating habits. The subject of eating disorders, how and why they manifest is ever changing. Objectively, any activity where a person is actively denying themselves food and nourishment in any way is an eating disorder. That also goes for over exercising, eating too much past the point of being satiated is a problem. For many years, people fly under the radar because there are these rigid descriptions of what an eating disorder is. But, if you know deep down her relationship with food and her body image is not normal, then you know there is a problem.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’ve researched it and it’s only associated with bulimia when someone does it after binge eating. She doesn’t binge eat.
Take a look at the Purging Disorder link I left you. Purging Disorder is a diagnosis for people who purge after eating. Binging before purging is not a characteristic of the disorder. I think this might apply to what your friend has and looking into getting treatment for it might help. xo, j