• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Friend has admitted to me that she purges after eating any food

L

LisaM1982

One of my good friends who is nearly 30 told me earlier today that she purges even if she just eats a little bit of food. She doesn't binge eat so it's not bulimia. Is it a sign of anorexia? She's very slim.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It sounds like your friend has Purging Disorder which, like Bulimia or Anorexia, is an eating disorder. I would strongly encourage her to seek medical help.

P

Purpleplum

It's a sign of bulimia. Your friend needs help right away. Her health-- possibly her life -- is at stake.

L

LisaM1982

It's a sign of bulimia. Your friend needs help right away. Her health-- possibly her life -- is at stake.
I’ve researched it and it’s only associated with bulimia when someone does it after binge eating. She doesn’t binge eat.

K

katwomyn3

Regardless, if she fits the definition of bingeing and purging, your friend needs help. Anorexics also engage in purging. And bulimics engage in fasting. Its not a cookie cutter description. Your friend needs to see a health professional, and if she can't because of COVID, she needs to talk to someone about the issues underlying her eating habits. The subject of eating disorders, how and why they manifest is ever changing. Objectively, any activity where a person is actively denying themselves food and nourishment in any way is an eating disorder. That also goes for over exercising, eating too much past the point of being satiated is a problem. For many years, people fly under the radar because there are these rigid descriptions of what an eating disorder is. But, if you know deep down her relationship with food and her body image is not normal, then you know there is a problem.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’ve researched it and it’s only associated with bulimia when someone does it after binge eating. She doesn’t binge eat.
Take a look at the Purging Disorder link I left you. Purging Disorder is a diagnosis for people who purge after eating. Binging before purging is not a characteristic of the disorder. I think this might apply to what your friend has and looking into getting treatment for it might help. xo, j

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
lilyrxse Hanging out and eating at a friend's house ? Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Does your eating disorder feel like an imaginary friend? Eating Disorders Forum 16
wollie I have a friend with eat ing disorder Eating Disorders Forum 7
D eating disorder friend need a help Eating Disorders Forum 9
E Does my friend have an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 4
H I need a friend or someone who understands Eating Disorders Forum 3
Q I am worried my friend may have a secret binge problem Eating Disorders Forum 3
C Does my friend have an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 1
J Is it my Ed and anxiety thats making me feel hurt by my friend? Eating Disorders Forum 1
A Need advice on how to help my friend Eating Disorders Forum 1
E My friend is stuck Eating Disorders Forum 2
W I need some advice in order to help a friend Eating Disorders Forum 3
C Help with a friend Eating Disorders Forum 2
B Help with a friend suffering bulimia Eating Disorders Forum 1
N A friend in need Eating Disorders Forum 7
M Please help me help my friend Eating Disorders Forum 15
F In crisis and in need of a friend Eating Disorders Forum 4
P a friend says im anorexic Eating Disorders Forum 20
Lookyourbest Conquered my bad eating habits but another issue has me baffled Eating Disorders Forum 1
S Daughter has to be the last person to finish her meal Eating Disorders Forum 8
pinkmxttr Has anyone tried meds for BED Eating Disorders Forum 8
J Feel like eveybody has lied Eating Disorders Forum 3
R My partner has anorexia and bipolar disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 7
P Wife has left me after anorexia and binge eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 6
H Has anyone here been able to stop eating their feelings? Eating Disorders Forum 19
D what have you found has helped with compulsive overeating?? Eating Disorders Forum 4
T Has emetaphobia caused my appetite to die? LONG POST! Eating Disorders Forum 1
prairiechick The binge has begun Eating Disorders Forum 6
N It has got out of control and I don't know what to do Eating Disorders Forum 3
D Just decided this has to be the end Eating Disorders Forum 6
Boethiah Has anyone else not been taken seriously by their doctor due to their anorexia? Eating Disorders Forum 13
S My 13 year old son has Anorexia .. Looking for support and information Eating Disorders Forum 26
speckles I am a lump and today has just been difficult Eating Disorders Forum 46
prairiechick This Has To Stop Eating Disorders Forum 10
M My risk of relapse has just gone through the roof!! Eating Disorders Forum 3
Poppy12 Dieting has triggered BED Eating Disorders Forum 43
anagrl21 has this ever happend to any of you? Eating Disorders Forum 3
B I think my brother has an eating disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 3
P Not sure if this has anything to do with my eating, but... Eating Disorders Forum 2
RedRoseBeauty Mia has come back to visit. Eating Disorders Forum 7
tonysawicki Finally admitted that I have an ED, caused by my mother's ED Eating Disorders Forum 12
H Recently admitted I have an ED but refusing to recover Eating Disorders Forum 2