• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

frequent overdoses

C

cally75

Hi all!
As many of u may know, I've had frequent overdoses over the years on medication.
A lot of them were 'touch & go'

What amuses me is I call the doctor a few days later & he sends me repeat script no questions asked for the very same meds that put me in hospital four days!

I ask myself what's going on with the nhs? I don't even need an appointment or does he ask to see me. My guess they get paid hundreds by the drug companies irrespective of what they prescribe.

This is just my experience & I think it's all wrong. Opinions please?!

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
First of all, excuse the stupid question but do you mention the OD's?

Second of all even after you OD on them you will need them, to keep them in your system and prevent withdrawal which over time could make you feel a hell of a lot worse.

Maybe you need to make an appointment and if you don't feel safe with your meds ask if you can get your meds on a weekly basis so you don't have loads at once.

I'm lucky in a way. I'm considered a OD risk but I'm allowed my meds as they know I won't OD on my meds but when I got some Diazepram last week I was only given a tiny amount.

coldwater00

coldwater00

I nearly killed myself with a huge overdose in 2011 although it wasn't on prescription medication (although I did take some prescribed medication alongside the overdose). I am now no longer allowed that prescribed medication unless I am supervised taking it. It doesn't really make sense considering I didn't actually take a large amount of it, I guess they are just being cautious though.

Maybe your doctor is doing that weird thing that I've heard they do where they try not to "encourage" you to OD by giving you enough medication to OD on thereby it gives you responsibility and might build trust between you?

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I totally agree cally - this happens to me too, I've even been in a couple of days after being in with suicidal thoughts and been given prescribed medication before! Ridiculous
I've just put in a repeat, don't need them just stocking up

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Christobel

I think it is your present GP who is at fault. he/she doesn't seem to have any regard for your safety. I find the opposite. If I request my meds even three days in advance all my items come back marked 'rejected'. I have a history of attempts but not by overdose!

coldwater00

coldwater00

I think your GP does need to be more aware of your OD risk and not be so irresponsible.