• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

freedom

C

Clint 23

I stopped taking my meds and my head feels more free my thoughts comes to me like the universe is talking to me like everything around me it talking. They give me all these pills just to keep my mind in prison to hold it back. but now i can think the voices are free and my mind is going a hundred miles a hour. of course i have paranoia doctors giving me all these meds but now everything talks to me. who gives a crap about meds

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Clint

I know how you feel. The side effects from the meds affect your mind and how you can think, they kind of squash everything down and make your mind dull. Without that effect it does feel like you are free again.

A month ago you wrote how you were on meds and getting better. At that point you seemed to think they were helping you to feel well and were important. You also,wrote about Peter Breggin and didn't approve of his stance against drugs.

What can I say? The drugs are very dangerous. They can have awful side effects and can dull your mind and emotions. But they can help with psychotic symptoms. It is something you have to weigh up, benefits of taking the drugs against disabling side effects and longer term harmful effects.

It is not an easy choice. It depends how you can cope without the drugs.

SarahD

SarahD

It is worth considering trying alternative approaches to coping with psychosis. You could start by looking at the Hearing Voices section on this forum and see how other people cope, perhaps consider joining a Hearing Voices Group, or contact Intervoice.

Can you recognise when you are delusional and avoid acting on delusions? Do you have ways to reality check things so you can check when you are delusional? A lot of people do have insight when psychotic. If you don't there are likely to be problems.

If you are able to function when psychotic, and pose no danger to yourself or others, and don't cause a nuisance, you may be lucky enough to be left alone and find a way to live a full life despite your illness and without medications.

C

Clint 23

"everyones help is different i know that meds were the best route for me maybe not for some others but everyones story is different." is what i said meaning meds may not work for this person but they might work for another. the point is no treatment is wrong if it works but to count out a treatment before you know it works or not is dumb

SarahD

SarahD

I agree with you. It is just finding what is the best way for you. Sometimes you have to try several options before you find out.